From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Ray wrote:

> Just add body {text-align:center} to Jukka's code and you will see one
> way it fails.

No you won't. Using body {text-align:center} is odd*), but it is not
sufficient for breaking the simple idea. There are surely ways to break any
code by putting it in a wrong context, but that's not one of them.

If you had posted a URL, we would know what you _really_ did.

*) Many people who use it do not understand its real meaning (in conforming
browsers): to center each line of text separately.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: Ray on
> Ray wrote:
> > Just add body body {text-align:center} to Jukka's code and you will see one
> > way it fails.
>
> No you won't. Using {text-align:center} is odd*), but it is not
> sufficient for breaking the simple idea. There are surely ways to break any
> code by putting it in a wrong context, but that's not one of them.

Yes it is. Your code failed, simple as that.

body {text-align:center} is a basic technique for centering content.
Why do you say it is odd?
Millions of websites are centered that way.

CSS Centering 101
http://simplebits.com/notebook/2004/09/08/centering/
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/center/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/css/center1.html
http://www.thisismyurl.com/tutorials/how-to-center-content-with-css-and-html/

> If you had posted a URL, we would know what you _really_ did.

Here is your code with body {text-align:center} added. The other two
examples worked fine.
http://www.gdaywa.com/paw/test4.php

Jeff found your mistake. No width.

Cheers
Ray

From: Andreas Prilop on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Ray wrote:

> Millions of websites are centered that way.

Millions of websites use frames.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22This+page+uses+frames%22

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell
From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Ray wrote:

> body {text-align:center} is a basic technique for centering content.

Thank you for confirming that you belong to the group of people who do not
understand the meaning of text-align: center. (I gave a hint of this, didn't
it? No response required.)

If you wish to use an image in context where you center every line of text,
then surely you can be expected to understand the implications, and
obviously this expectation fails for the "center with text-align: center"
group.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/