From: Gary B. Berns on
I have 16 years of data and a 65 meg datafile. Was wondering if I
set my system clock to 2005 whether I could then archive everything
before 12/31/04 and keep everything since in my active registers?

This, if possible, would certainly speed up the opening of the file.

Gary
Gary
..
From: Gary B. Berns on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:58:15 -0600, Notan
<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>Why not save a copy of your 65MB file to whatever medium you choose,
>delete all transactions prior to 2005, and use the resultant file as
>your "current" file?

If I did it that way I would not have restore capabilities if I needed
to put it back together.
Gary
..
From: Bob Wang on
Out of curiosity, I did some timing on opening a 300MB file with 30 years of
data versus a 15MB file with 8 years of data

Time to open file after a cold boot:
300MB = 11.8 sec
15MB = 3.4 sec

Time to reopen file:
300MB = 8.7 sec
15MB = 2.8 sec

From: gk on
On Mar 29, 7:51 pm, Gary B. Berns <gbe...(a)tampabay.r*r.com> wrote:
> ...archive everything
> before 12/31/04 and keep everything since in my active registers?

Doesn't Quicken has this ability built-in?
File=>File Operations=>Year-End Copy
The box on the bottom of new pop-up window will let you select/type
12/31/04 as the last day of data to archive.
The current file could be left intact or be truncated - your choice.

Am I missing something here?