From: Sue on
I am working on microsoft excel 2003, I have a sheet that I merged cells
starting with line 8 through 43...when I type my information in the merged
area I can see all that I am typing...say it goes up to line 30 once I hit
the enter key I can only see up to line 20. Even when I print it out it only
prints up to line 20...I have checked to make sure there are not locked cells
etc. I cannot figure out at all why this is happening...is there only up to
a certain number of cells you can merge?

From: Luke M on
From "Excel Specifications and Limits"
Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display
in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

Due to merged cells causing more trouble usually than they're worth, is
there some reason you can't just break the text up over multiple cells, or
type it all into a single cell, and then use the "Align center over
selection" format?

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

From: Gord Dibben on
Why have you bothered to merge cells?

All that does is create a larger cell with the same limitations as a single
cell.

See Like's post on limitaions for visible characters.

You can increase this limitation by adding an in-cell linefeed every 100 or
so characters.

Linefeeds are entered using Alt + Enter key.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP