From: Space Wombat #3 on

Hi chums

the same story as a few weeks ago - my 2004 G5 iMac 1.8 20" has a dead
graphics card - a Nvida one.

The net seems awash with advice - some that a repair means replacing
the mother/midi board as well.... does this sound correct?

Thanks

SW3
From: JohnB on
On 19/07/2010 19:07, Space Wombat #3 wrote:

> Hi chums
>
> the same story as a few weeks ago - my 2004 G5 iMac 1.8 20" has a dead
> graphics card - a Nvida one.
>
> The net seems awash with advice - some that a repair means replacing
> the mother/midi board as well.... does this sound correct?
>
> Thanks
>
> SW3
See what they say at XLR8 - usually sound advice on there

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/fpsdb/fpsdb.lasso

--
JohnB
From: Jon B on
Space Wombat #3 <rob_murfin(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi chums
>
> the same story as a few weeks ago - my 2004 G5 iMac 1.8 20" has a dead
> graphics card - a Nvida one.
>
> The net seems awash with advice - some that a repair means replacing
> the mother/midi board as well.... does this sound correct?

Yep, it's all one big board, graphics chip is upper left in this pic
<http://twitpic.com/26zldc>
soldered to the board. It along with the G5 chip sit under the big
silver G5 heatsink, so it all gets repaired/replaced together.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
From: Mark on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:48:33 +0100, Jon B wrote
(in article <1jlxheg.4k4fyb1osvewbN%black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com>):

> Space Wombat #3 <rob_murfin(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi chums
>>
>> the same story as a few weeks ago - my 2004 G5 iMac 1.8 20" has a dead
>> graphics card - a Nvida one.
>>
>> The net seems awash with advice - some that a repair means replacing
>> the mother/midi board as well.... does this sound correct?
>>

> Yep, it's all one big board, graphics chip is upper left in this pic
> <http://twitpic.com/26zldc>
> soldered to the board. It along with the G5 chip sit under the big
> silver G5 heatsink, so it all gets repaired/replaced together.

I'm sure when mine was replaced they referred to it as the
"mid-plane/midplane".

Mark

From: Jon B on
Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:48:33 +0100, Jon B wrote
> (in article <1jlxheg.4k4fyb1osvewbN%black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com>):
>
> > Space Wombat #3 <rob_murfin(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi chums
> >>
> >> the same story as a few weeks ago - my 2004 G5 iMac 1.8 20" has a dead
> >> graphics card - a Nvida one.
> >>
> >> The net seems awash with advice - some that a repair means replacing
> >> the mother/midi board as well.... does this sound correct?
> >>

> > Yep, it's all one big board, graphics chip is upper left in this pic
> > <http://twitpic.com/26zldc>
> > soldered to the board. It along with the G5 chip sit under the big
> > silver G5 heatsink, so it all gets repaired/replaced together.
> >
> I'm sure when mine was replaced they referred to it as the
> "mid-plane/midplane".

The logic board comes attached to the central steel section which is
known as the midplane.