From: D.M. Procida on
Can anyone recommend a good application, compatible with something like
Google Maps or Bikely.com?

It needs to be able to store a route - with maps of the surrounding
areas, to some extent - and keep them accessible even when it has no
access to a network.

Daniele
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:13:58 +0100,
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good application, compatible with something like
>Google Maps or Bikely.com?
>
>It needs to be able to store a route - with maps of the surrounding
>areas, to some extent - and keep them accessible even when it has no
>access to a network.

I mostly use MotionX GPS, which caches maps (you can precache also)
and imports .gpx files cleanly, which is what bikely uses.

What exports can you pull out of Google Maps?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"If anyone tells me to work smarter, not harder, I will kick him or her hard
in a random body part. I will then kick him or her a second time, "smarter,
From: D.M. Procida on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:13:58 +0100,
> real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend a good application, compatible with something like
> >Google Maps or Bikely.com?
> >
> >It needs to be able to store a route - with maps of the surrounding
> >areas, to some extent - and keep them accessible even when it has no
> >access to a network.
>
> I mostly use MotionX GPS, which caches maps (you can precache also)
> and imports .gpx files cleanly, which is what bikely uses.

I don't think you can export from Bikely, I have just realised.

> What exports can you pull out of Google Maps?

Not sure.

Daniele
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:33:19 +0100,
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:13:58 +0100,
>> real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:
>>
>> >Can anyone recommend a good application, compatible with something like
>> >Google Maps or Bikely.com?
>> >
>> >It needs to be able to store a route - with maps of the surrounding
>> >areas, to some extent - and keep them accessible even when it has no
>> >access to a network.
>>
>> I mostly use MotionX GPS, which caches maps (you can precache also)
>> and imports .gpx files cleanly, which is what bikely uses.
>
>I don't think you can export from Bikely, I have just realised.

Can too! Choose a route so you get a map, go to the Share menuthing,
Download GPX.

>> What exports can you pull out of Google Maps?
>
>Not sure.

I had a play around and couldn't see anything useful at all... but
Google's idea of a useful UI and mine are radically different, so I'm
likely just missing the way in.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority
for ATC. I say safety is noise abatement. You have no idea how much
From: Rob on
On 20/07/2010 09:18, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:33:19 +0100,
> real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:
>
>> Jaimie Vandenbergh<jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> I mostly use MotionX GPS, which caches maps (you can precache also)
>>> and imports .gpx files cleanly, which is what bikely uses.
>>
>> I don't think you can export from Bikely, I have just realised.
>
> Can too! Choose a route so you get a map, go to the Share menuthing,
> Download GPX.

Marvellous - I feel a mini-tour coming on! can anyone recommend a bike
mount for an iPhone?

Thanks, Rob