From: sobriquet on
On 22 apr, 04:44, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
> > Now, there's a payday ...
>
> >http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/Photo+worth+million+word...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wall
> Apparently most of his stuff is staged 'cinematography' to look like
> street shooting. He's a long time name I guess, originally an art
> critic/writer, then started doing these in the '70's with references to
> art history philosophical topics like this one is about the subject
> having their face turned away so you imagine what his expression is.
> Similar to the guy in the crazy room with all the light bulbs in the
> link below.
>
> Interesting.http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=8756...
> I might spend a museum admission to see them <g>.

The Contacts photography documentary also contains a 13 minute episode
where
Jeff Wall explains some of his work.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5499496
From: Dudley Hanks on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> Now, there's a payday ...
>>
>> http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/Photo+worth+million+words/2927503/story.html
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wall
> Apparently most of his stuff is staged 'cinematography' to look like
> street shooting. He's a long time name I guess, originally an art
> critic/writer, then started doing these in the '70's with references to
> art history philosophical topics like this one is about the subject having
> their face turned away so you imagine what his expression is. Similar to
> the guy in the crazy room with all the light bulbs in the link below.
>
> Interesting.
> http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=87560962&blogID=236192673&MyToken=bf0b50a5-fd20-420c-8318-9ee943fdbaab
> I might spend a museum admission to see them <g>.

And, here I've been using the turned face technique for Mich's traffic check
shots without realizing it's an actual artzy technique.

I'll start the bidding at $750,000 ... :)

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:44:16 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:
>Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> Now, there's a payday ...
>>
>> http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/Photo+worth+million+words/2927503/story.html
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wall
>Apparently most of his stuff is staged 'cinematography' to look like
>street shooting. He's a long time name I guess, originally an art
>critic/writer, then started doing these in the '70's with references to
>art history philosophical topics like this one is about the subject
>having their face turned away so you imagine what his expression is.
>Similar to the guy in the crazy room with all the light bulbs in the
>link below.
>
>Interesting.
>http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=87560962&blogID=236192673&MyToken=bf0b50a5-fd20-420c-8318-9ee943fdbaab
>I might spend a museum admission to see them <g>.

I went to see a Jeff Wall exhibition at the Tate Modern in London
several years ago and found his work inspiring. The exhibition
consisted of street and domestic interior scenes which were mostly
displayed as very large backlit Cibachrome transparencies of the
highest quality.

Here is a link:
http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/jeffwall/

I enjoyed it so much I returned for a second visit so I could stay
longer - my first visit was on the way to an appointment in the City,
ironically to discuss a streetscape for a corporate client that was
eventually presented as a backlit Cibachrome transparency. ;-)

There were several images that I thought were of the highest calibre.
However, I don't think the one of the artist drawing the severed arm
is of similar calibre.

Perhaps the value of the image is in its rarity - given that Jeff Wall
images perhaps don't often come up for sale - and in the celebrity of
the photographer, rather than in any intrinsic artistic value. It is
a very careful composition, beautifully lit, but it doesn't have the
detail and atmosphere of a "typical" Jeff Wall image, if of course
there can ever be such a thing.

There is one aspect that does make it quite attractive, and that is
the "picture within a picture". There is a certain fascination to
this, in similar vein to the "play within a play" that is so beloved
of certain playwrights.

From: whisky-dave on

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> On 4/21/2010 8:31 AM, whisky-dave wrote:
>> "Nervous Nick"<nervous.nick(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Apr 20, 1:03 pm, George Kerby<ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 4/20/10 12:43 PM, in article
>>> WImdnfpeYZ1CelDWnZ2dnUVZ_jidn...(a)giganews.com, "Frank ess"

>>> A million bucks for a snapshot?!?
>>>
>>> I'm not 'buying' it...
>>
>> }Exactly my sentiment.
>>
>> Well I'd buy it if I knew I could sell it at a profit, but I don't know
>> anyone daft enough.
>>

>> }The image contains zero compelling attributes and quite a few annoying
>> }ones.
>>
>> }It's not even a very good snapshot.
>>
>> }I had to check the date on that to make sure it wasn't 1 April.
>>
>> }Sheesh.
>>
>> I know what you mean, I know someone doing a MSc in photo illustrations
>> I bet they can give me an academic reason why it's worth so much.

I was right here's the reply.

"it's Jeff Wall! he is a superstar photographer....and you have to pay for
that!
I don't know about this picture...but he has got some amazing work. Did you
know that once he spent 3 years to compose one of his pictures? He composes
his images digitally and most of them are scenes that never existed in
reality...an interesting guy :-)"

From: Bruce on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:42:27 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:08:01 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:38:14 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
>><dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>>Now, there's a payday ...
>>>
>>>http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/Photo+worth+million+words/2927503/story.html
>>>

>>So many words, yet no sign of the image that is being discussed. :-(
>
>An apt description of your posts. So many words, but no sign of a
>photograph.

Long may it remain so! If I ever get desperate enough to have even
the slightest interest in what you or any of your incompetent
"friends" think of my work, I will have given up photography for ever.