From: introtologic on
Thanks for the suggesion John. I tried to create a Database-Level
backup only. Still the backup failed. In application log First the
same VSS error showed up then some information entries telling me that
storage gourp is froze, thawed ready for copy etc. One infromation
entry mentions dirty shutdown state:

Log Name: Application
Source: Storage Group Consistency Check
Date: 9/25/2008 11:13:11 AM
Event ID: 200
Task Category: Database Header Validation
Level: Information
Instance 1: Database headers have been successfully validated. All
databases are in a dirty shutdown state. To bring these databases to a
clean shutdown state, log generations 8367 (0x000020af) to 8379
(0x000020bb) will be required.

The log generation numbers are different each time I try to back up
and as you can see it is an information entry not an error.

this is followed by several more info. entries about different tasks
Log file integrity check etc and all show completed tasks.

Then these four errors appear:

1. Log Name: Application
Source: Storage Group Consistency Check
Date: 9/25/2008 11:27:03 AM
Event ID: 402
Task Category: Termination
Level: Error
Instance 1: Termination of the physical consistency check was
prevented because the operation has either already been performed or
was not yet ready to be performed. The operation failed with error
code -1059 (0xfffffbdd).

2. Exact same error as mentioned in my original post about IVssWriter
callback interface.

3. Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchangeIS
Date: 9/25/2008 11:27:04 AM
Event ID: 9782
Task Category: Exchange VSS Writer
Level: Error
Exchange VSS Writer (instance edfba2a7-4f27-4b48-ad5b-0dc51802fa64:3)
has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group 'First
Storage Group'. No log files have been truncated for this storage
group.

4. Log Name: Application
Source: ESE
Date: 9/25/2008 11:27:04 AM
Event ID: 2007
Task Category: ShadowCopy
Level: Error
Information Store (2568) Shadow copy instance 3 aborted.

The last entry in the sequence in an information entry :

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchangeIS
Date: 9/25/2008 11:27:04 AM
Event ID: 9616
Task Category: Exchange VSS Writer
Level: Information
Exchange VSS Writer (instance edfba2a7-4f27-4b48-ad5b-0dc51802fa64:3)
has processed the backup completion event successfully.

Though the backup has not completed.

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
I wouldn't accept that answer. I would demand an escalation.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: John Fullbright on
You're failing during the consistency check of the logs. Descibe your disk
layout. How much space do you have allocated for shadow copies?

If your database is on the system volume, and you run both a system state
and exchange backup at the same time, you get a conflict like this. If you
don't have enough space for the shadoiw copy you can get a conflict like
this. If you run multiple SG backups one after the other and don't have
enough space for shadow copies ....

I'd investigate that path.

From: introtologic on
Exchange and OS are set up on a Single hard disk. The exchange DB size
is about 20 GB. But it hasnt been backed up in a while and the logs
have grown in size. Still the used space on the drive is about 60 GB
and 70GB is free. Shadow Copy settings allow for as much space needed
(No limit set). Currently regular shadow copies are not enabled. IN
past several backups I have only been trying to run the exchange Db
level backup (Not system state and not even Document level backup for
exchange.) I have opened up a support ticket with ArcServe again but
all they do is tell me to give them time to do some research and then
comeback with some KB articles which don't help.