From: KCotreau on
Hi all,

I was getting similar errors recently but in Backup Exec. First, did you
have Microsoft Automatic Updates set to run? If so, you may have gotten
Exchange SP1 Rollup 4 installed automatically, which was promptly pulled.
You should check in Add/Remove Programs and if it is installed, you will
need to uninstall it. This is discussed in detail at the Exchange Team's
blog here: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/09/11/449787.aspx .

Second, even after all that I was still getting the following error, where
the 3916 and 7 are variables to your system:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: ShadowCopy
Event ID: 2007
Date: 9/22/2008
Time: 3:56:34 AM
User: N/A
Computer: EDITEDDC01
Information Store (3916) Shadow copy instance 7 aborted.

I solved that one by installing the VSS Rollup patch, which can be found
here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

I hope this helps you.

Kevin Cotreau, MCSE+I, MCNE, et. al.

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
You should be able to back it up with NTBACKUP to get the logs truncated
until you can get your problem with Arcserve resolved.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: John Fullbright on
When you do a freeze with the exchange writer. E0n.log is closed and
renumbered the highest log number. At that point, the VSS provider does a
snapshot of the volume. A thaw is then issued and a new e0n.log is created.
When you go to verifiy the backup, either eseutil or chksgfiles is used to
verify the backup. You get a -1059, JeterrorTooManyActiveUsers, which is a
bit strange.

It could be the RU4 that was released on 9 September and then recalled I
suppose. I have seen chksgfiles fail with -1811 when the 9 Sep RU4 is
installed. Rolling back resolved the issue. If this were the issue, I'd
expect to see event ID 305 or 401. I don't think your situation quite
matches that. Try going in and deleting all the Shadow Copies on the C:
volume except the last one, then try backing up the storage group by itself.

John

From: introtologic on
Thanks a bunch guys. I did check and see if the Auto Update had
installed Roll up 4 but that is not the case. I also tried to backup
with the NTBackUp or Windows Server Backup as it is called in Server
2008 but that runs into similar errors and closes without truncating
logs. The server becomes extremely sluggish when the backup is running
I wonder if it is being timed out. The network is Gigabit so I know
its not the bandwidth but the server only has 2 GB of RAM. I will be
calling MS Professional Support and see if they can help me fix this
thing. I will post the results here