From: coupland on
I've installed Virtual PC 2007 on my Vista RC2 machine but every time I go
through the New Virtual Machine Wizard I receive the following error when I
click the "Finish" button:

"Virtual PC was unable to create a new virtual machine configuration with
these settings."

"Please verify that you have write-access to the specified locations for the
virtual machine configuration and the virtual hard disk, and that there is
sufficient disk space available for this operation."

I've got plenty of free disk space, I've run the program using an admin
account, and the folder I'm creating the virtual machine in is Full Control -
Everyone (only while troubleshooting this problem :) Anyone know what I'm
doing wrong?
From: Steve Jain on
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:46:02 -0700, coupland
<coupland(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've installed Virtual PC 2007 on my Vista RC2 machine but every time I go
>through the New Virtual Machine Wizard I receive the following error when I
>click the "Finish" button:
>
>"Virtual PC was unable to create a new virtual machine configuration with
>these settings."
>
>"Please verify that you have write-access to the specified locations for the
>virtual machine configuration and the virtual hard disk, and that there is
>sufficient disk space available for this operation."
>
>I've got plenty of free disk space, I've run the program using an admin
>account, and the folder I'm creating the virtual machine in is Full Control -
>Everyone (only while troubleshooting this problem :) Anyone know what I'm
>doing wrong?

Maybe it's related to this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2006/10/23/why-is-virtual-pc-saying-my-files-marked-read-only.aspx

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: coupland on
Unfortunately, no. I'm running VPC as an admin, and the folder where the VHD
is being created is Full Control All. I tried re-installing and still no
luck, seems as if VPC 2007 doesn't even work...

From: Steve Jain on
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:25:02 -0700, coupland
<coupland(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, no. I'm running VPC as an admin, and the folder where the VHD
>is being created is Full Control All. I tried re-installing and still no
>luck, seems as if VPC 2007 doesn't even work...

So you specifically granted full control to your account?
Because "...UAC stops Virtual PC from using your system admin
credentials to open the files. So you will need to edit the security
settings in these files and specifically grant full control to your
user account."

From: coupland on
Thanks Steve, that was the problem. I wasn't running it as *an* admin, I was
running it as *the* domain admin. As soon as I switched to a less privileged
account it worked. Next fun activity will be a long-overdue exercise to move
all my settings over to an unprivileged account...