From: Abba1091 on

I have re-installed Windows XP on my desktop recently and now I cannot
read Chinese characters in some programs. I have already installed the
East Asian languages files under the "Regional and language options" as
well as setting the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Chinese(PRC).
I have many Chinese fonts installed on my desktop. I have also added
Chinese in the "Language preference" in Internet Explorer. Still, there
are some programs and some websites that I cannot read the Chinese
characters properly. Please help.

Andrew

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: sandy58 on
On Mar 31, 9:07 pm, Abba1091 <Abba1091.48p...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> I have re-installed Windows XP on my desktop recently and now I cannot
> read Chinese characters in some programs. I have already installed the
> East Asian languages files under the "Regional and language options" as
> well as setting the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Chinese(PRC).
> I have many Chinese fonts installed on my desktop.  I have also added
> Chinese in the "Language preference" in Internet Explorer. Still, there
> are some programs and some websites that I cannot read the Chinese
> characters properly. Please help.
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Abba1091
> Abba1091's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1322669.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

"Cannot read Chinese characters in some programs"
1) Are the characters too small?
2) Are the characters not in Chinese?
3) Can you read Chinese normally?
4) Can you read which language the characters are in?
5) Do you really WANT "some programs" to be in Chinese?
If you cannot read the Chinese characters, then they (A) are either
too small, (B) you can't read Chinese anyway, (C) the characters were
written by some joker, (D) the characters are LIKE Chinese but wrong
shape, (E) wrong dialect, Mandarin etc.
Only likely cure for your dilemma is: (A) Learn Chinese or (B) get in
a translator or (C) learn English and buy an English pc or (D) move to
China where, hopefully, all pc's "speak" Chinese (YOUR specific
dialect).
Sorry about the long screed but "reading" & "seeing" have totally
different meanings in this context. Good luck.
From: Abba1091 on

I used to be able to "see" those Chinese characters before I
re-installed Windows. Now, after all the programs have been
re-installed, the characters in some programs show up as funny
characters. I think it has something to do with the encoding of the
characters. Here is an example "&#25411;&#28632;&#34452;&#29249;". I am
sure everybody can see them but I doubt if anybody can understand them.

From: Abba1091 on

Not sure what have I done but the problem is gone now.