From: xxyyz on
I have a 15-month old CanoScan 4400F (Model# K10293). On all images,
there is a narrow stripe down the left-hand side. The stripe is
grayish, with its right-hand edge red, is hard up against the LHS of
the image, and its edges are absolutely straight. It first appeared
a couple of months ago.

I have uploaded a test image - see:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=dndmymyrmum

How do I stop the stripe from appearing? For most images, it doesn't
matter much as I can select the imaged part to exclude the stripe, but
this is a nuisance, and someday I will want to image right out to the
edge.

Note that:
1. System is WinXP/SP3, 1GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Radeon X300SE graphics.
The scanner interface is USB.
2. I have NOT installed any of the Canon software - I just use the
Windows Scanner and Camera Wizard. I have, however, read the
documentation that came on the Canon S/W CD - did not help.
3. I have tried entirely covering the scanner with an opaque blanket
in case the stripe was caused by some weird stray light seepage - no
change.
4. I have tried every variation available on the (somewhat limited)
S&CW settings - no change (except, of course, no red in the B&W and
grayscale scans).
5. The scanner has NOT been subjected to any hard knocks or other
inappropriate treatment.
6. I searched the Canon site and did not find anything useful.
7. I Googled and did not find anything useful.
From: CSM1 on
xxyyz <xxyyz(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in news:hncf4f$l9t$1
@news.albasani.net:

> I have a 15-month old CanoScan 4400F (Model# K10293). On
all images,
> there is a narrow stripe down the left-hand side. The
stripe is
> grayish, with its right-hand edge red, is hard up against
the LHS of
> the image, and its edges are absolutely straight. It
first appeared
> a couple of months ago.
>
> I have uploaded a test image - see:
> http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?
quickkey=dndmymyrmum

> How do I stop the stripe from appearing? For most images,
it doesn't
> matter much as I can select the imaged part to exclude the
stripe, but
> this is a nuisance, and someday I will want to image right
out to the
> edge.
>
> Note that:
> 1. System is WinXP/SP3, 1GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Radeon X300SE
graphics.
> The scanner interface is USB.
> 2. I have NOT installed any of the Canon software - I
just use the
> Windows Scanner and Camera Wizard. I have, however, read
the
> documentation that came on the Canon S/W CD - did not
help.
> 3. I have tried entirely covering the scanner with an
opaque blanket
> in case the stripe was caused by some weird stray light
seepage - no
> change.
> 4. I have tried every variation available on the
(somewhat limited)
> S&CW settings - no change (except, of course, no red in
the B&W and
> grayscale scans).
> 5. The scanner has NOT been subjected to any hard knocks
or other
> inappropriate treatment.
> 6. I searched the Canon site and did not find anything
useful.
> 7. I Googled and did not find anything useful.

You will have to take the scanner apart and clean the
internal parts.
Mirrors, lens, and maybe the filters.

For these surfaces to get dirty, does not require any hard
knocks. The plastic emits gasses which collects on the
mirrors and lens.

Instructions for a Canon 8400F which is the 4400's big
brother.
http://www.carlmcmillan.com/CanonScanner/Canon.htm

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: CSM1 on
CSM1 <nomail(a)nomoremail.com> wrote in news:Xns9D395A0DE79C1nomoremail@
74.209.136.93:

> quickkey=dndmymyrmum

Bad to reply to my own reply.

Don't scan a notebook ruled paper.
His jpg is a sheet of blue ruled scratch pad.

The link is a virus or trojan.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: xxyyz on
CSM1 wrote:
> xxyyz <xxyyz(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in news:hncf4f$l9t$1
> @news.albasani.net:
>
>> I have a 15-month old CanoScan 4400F (Model# K10293). On
> all images,
>> there is a narrow stripe down the left-hand side. The
> stripe is
>> grayish, with its right-hand edge red, is hard up against
> the LHS of
>> the image, and its edges are absolutely straight. It
> first appeared
>> a couple of months ago.
>>
>> I have uploaded a test image - see:
>> http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?
> quickkey=dndmymyrmum
>> How do I stop the stripe from appearing? For most images,
> it doesn't
>> matter much as I can select the imaged part to exclude the
> stripe, but
>> this is a nuisance, and someday I will want to image right
> out to the
>> edge.
>>
>> Note that:
>> 1. System is WinXP/SP3, 1GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Radeon X300SE
> graphics.
>> The scanner interface is USB.
>> 2. I have NOT installed any of the Canon software - I
> just use the
>> Windows Scanner and Camera Wizard. I have, however, read
> the
>> documentation that came on the Canon S/W CD - did not
> help.
>> 3. I have tried entirely covering the scanner with an
> opaque blanket
>> in case the stripe was caused by some weird stray light
> seepage - no
>> change.
>> 4. I have tried every variation available on the
> (somewhat limited)
>> S&CW settings - no change (except, of course, no red in
> the B&W and
>> grayscale scans).
>> 5. The scanner has NOT been subjected to any hard knocks
> or other
>> inappropriate treatment.
>> 6. I searched the Canon site and did not find anything
> useful.
>> 7. I Googled and did not find anything useful.
>>

> You will have to take the scanner apart and clean the
> internal parts.
> Mirrors, lens, and maybe the filters.
>
> For these surfaces to get dirty, does not require any hard
> knocks. The plastic emits gasses which collects on the
> mirrors and lens.
>
> Instructions for a Canon 8400F which is the 4400's big
> brother.
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com/CanonScanner/Canon.htm

Thank you - I was afraid that would be the answer. A
few additional questions:
1. Is this normal after less than 15 months and
relatively few scans (maybe 30 total)?
2. Is the stripe likely to become more pronounced if
I don't clean now?
3. Is there long-term damage if I don't clean now?

From: xxyyz on
CSM1 wrote:
> CSM1 <nomail(a)nomoremail.com> wrote in news:Xns9D395A0DE79C1nomoremail@
> 74.209.136.93:
>
>> quickkey=dndmymyrmum
>>

> Bad to reply to my own reply.
>
> Don't scan a notebook ruled paper.
Why not??

> His jpg is a sheet of blue ruled scratch pad.
Correct - it was just intended to show the stripe.

> The link is a virus or trojan.
Which link? "Download this image" or the one
under "Share this file:"?
This is the first time I have used mediafire; if they do
have viruses or trojans associated with their links, I
will not use them again.
However, before I posted my message, I tried their links;
I did get a pop-under ad (for a poker game I think), but
nothing worse.

Pages: 1
Prev: Red Streaks on scanning
Next: Seek Fiche to PDF