From: Raymond Daley on

"DenverDad" <the_applegates(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Narrow streaks that run the length of the scan are typically the
> result of dust

I'd like to debunk this as complete utter rubbish.
My scanner gets these streaks ONLY if I scan in colour.
I scanned a newspaper for a photo last night, the preview scan had the
streaks.
Then I switched to greyscale and they were gone.

So this dust theory just got shat on from a great height. care to suggest
something else?
its clearly something to do with the colour sensors.

From: CSM1 on
"Raymond Daley" <raymond.daley(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in

> "DenverDad" <the_applegates(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
@j44g2000hsj.googlegroups.com.
> ..
>> Narrow streaks that run the length of the scan are typically the
>> result of dust
>
> I'd like to debunk this as complete utter rubbish.
> My scanner gets these streaks ONLY if I scan in colour.
> I scanned a newspaper for a photo last night, the preview scan had the
> streaks.
> Then I switched to greyscale and they were gone.
>
> So this dust theory just got shat on from a great height. care to
> suggest something else?
> its clearly something to do with the colour sensors.

The streaks show in Color because the contamination that causes the
streaks are color sensitive.

I don't know what brand of scanner you have, this page is on the Canon
Canoscan 8400F.

How to clean a Canon Canoscan 8400F
http://www.carlmcmillan.com/CanonScanner/Canon.htm

Color streaks can be caused by contamination on the optics and mirrors.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: Raymond Daley on

"CSM1" <nomail(a)nomoremail.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what brand of scanner you have, this page is on the Canon
> Canoscan 8400F.

Agfa Snapscan E50. It works and 75% of the scan area is useable. Unless it
goes under 50% I cant ever see myself buying a new scanner or opening the
current one up to try and clean it. I gave away the last scanner (a Umax, I
forget the exact model) for the same reasons but the Agfa has negative
scanning ability (or inability if you confuse it by putting the negative
insert holder in upside that makes the scanner think its broken). If I
bought another I'd probably buy another Agfa.