From: infiniteMPG on
I have a like new CanoScan D1250U2F that I used for scanning various
documents, photos and negatives. Bought a new Dell that came with
Windows 7 x64 and last night tried to hook the scanner up and could
not get it to install the drivers. I emailed Canon Tech Support and
they replied back today stating :
Thank you for writing to us regarding using your CanoScan D1250U2F
with
Windows 7. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the
opportunity to assist you.

Unfortunately, Windows 7 drivers are not planned for your CanoScan
D1250U2F. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes you.

You may want to consider the Canon Loyalty Program, which provides you
the opportunity to upgrade to a new Windows 7 compatible unit via
next-day delivery at a discounted price. To help you get up and
running
quickly, we also offer free next business day shipping (if the order
is
completed by 12:30PM ET).
So is there any work-around or any way to run this scanner under
Windows 7 x64???? The scanner is like new and hate to think it's
trash because I bought a new computer.
From: Nigel Feltham on
infiniteMPG wrote:

> I have a like new CanoScan D1250U2F that I used for scanning various
> documents, photos and negatives. Bought a new Dell that came with
> Windows 7 x64 and last night tried to hook the scanner up and could
> not get it to install the drivers. I emailed Canon Tech Support and
> they replied back today stating :
> Thank you for writing to us regarding using your CanoScan D1250U2F
> with
> Windows 7. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the
> opportunity to assist you.

> So is there any work-around or any way to run this scanner under
> Windows 7 x64???? The scanner is like new and hate to think it's
> trash because I bought a new computer.

Guess some companies really don't understand their customers sometimes -
they think it's perfectly acceptable to get old customers to consign their
old hardware to the trash every time MS bring out a new operating system and
think offering a discount is the way to keep customers (I'm guessing it's
likely that buying direct with their loyalty discount is still more
expensive than buying from an online discounter anyway).

The sad thing is the way customers really think when treated this way is 'I
bought Canon last time, now I bought a new PC they don't want to know so I'm
not making the same mistake when buying its replacement'.

The only Thing I can suggest trying if you still have a valid XP licence
from an old PC (or even a Win98 or Win2k licence if the Scanner works on
these systems) is to download a copy of 'VMWare Player' which is a free
Virtual PC software which lets you install and run an older operating system
to run in a window on your desktop and allow that to control your scanner.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

This does mean having access to an install CD for the OS you intend to run
the scanner on and having to go through the full install as if you were
setting it up from scratch on a fresh blank PC (though you only need to do
this once as the virtual PC keeps all it's files in a directory on your hard
Drive that can be burned to DVD as a backup once it's running how you like).

From: infiniteMPG on
> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Thanks for the suggestion. Going to try that out and it sounds like
that might be a good workaround for other things I'm having issues
with under Windows 7
From: Gridley on
I would suggest getting Vuescan as it supports virtually all scanners
even if your operting system doesn't. I use a Canon FS4000 which is no
longer supported by any current operating system but it works fine on
my OSX6 iMac with Vuescan. Also I just downloaded the current driver
and software for my Epson V200 which promptly made scanning to jpeg
impossible. I need to look into that, but Vuescan works fine with the
V200 and I can still use the new Epson software to create PDFs.

If you do go that way check the Vuescan website to make sure you
scanner is supported.

From: Nigel Feltham on
Gridley wrote:

> I would suggest getting Vuescan as it supports virtually all scanners
> even if your operting system doesn't. I use a Canon FS4000 which is no
> longer supported by any current operating system but it works fine on
> my OSX6 iMac with Vuescan. Also I just downloaded the current driver
> and software for my Epson V200 which promptly made scanning to jpeg
> impossible. I need to look into that, but Vuescan works fine with the
> V200 and I can still use the new Epson software to create PDFs.
>
> If you do go that way check the Vuescan website to make sure you
> scanner is supported.

The D1250U2F is supported by Vuescan but sadly it's one of the scanners
that's only supported after installing Canon's own driver first so also not
an option on any system Canon hasn't written a driver for.