From: John McWilliams on
My 20D is coming up Err 99 all the time now. It had done so every few
months, easily rectified by removing battery and rebootingm or changing
lens/turning camera off then on again.

I've tried different lenses, different shutter and aperture settings,
even auto modes, cleaning the contacts that're at the bottom of the lens
mount area, and repeats of the power cycling noted above.

Electro shock therapy? Or something besides sending it into Canon, which
my retailer wants to charge $30......

--
John McWilliams
From: me on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 12:31:23 -0700, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>My 20D is coming up Err 99 all the time now. It had done so every few
>months, easily rectified by removing battery and rebootingm or changing
>lens/turning camera off then on again.
>
>I've tried different lenses, different shutter and aperture settings,
>even auto modes, cleaning the contacts that're at the bottom of the lens
>mount area, and repeats of the power cycling noted above.
>
>Electro shock therapy? Or something besides sending it into Canon, which
>my retailer wants to charge $30......

Can't you send it in yourself? Nikon has service centers on both US
coasts you can send stuff to them yourself. No need to go through a
dealer.
From: me on
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>My 20D is coming up Err 99 all the time now. It had done so every few
>months, easily rectified by removing battery and rebootingm or changing
>lens/turning camera off then on again.
>
>I've tried different lenses, different shutter and aperture settings,
>even auto modes, cleaning the contacts that're at the bottom of the lens
>mount area, and repeats of the power cycling noted above.
>
>Electro shock therapy? Or something besides sending it into Canon, which
>my retailer wants to charge $30......

Can't you send it in yourself? Nikon has service centers on both US
coasts you can send stuff to them yourself. No need to go through a
dealer.

I guess the answer is yes.
https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct&fcategoryid=226&modelid=10464

From: Charles on
Might be shutter mechanism failure.

From: John McWilliams on
me wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 12:31:23 -0700, John McWilliams
> <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> My 20D is coming up Err 99 all the time now. It had done so every few
>> months, easily rectified by removing battery and rebootingm or changing
>> lens/turning camera off then on again.
>>
>> I've tried different lenses, different shutter and aperture settings,
>> even auto modes, cleaning the contacts that're at the bottom of the lens
>> mount area, and repeats of the power cycling noted above.
>>
>> Electro shock therapy? Or something besides sending it into Canon, which
>> my retailer wants to charge $30......
>
> Can't you send it in yourself? Nikon has service centers on both US
> coasts you can send stuff to them yourself. No need to go through a
> dealer.
>
> I guess the answer is yes.
> https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct&fcategoryid=226&modelid=10464

Yes, indeed, that's a possibility. I was hoping for some down home fixes
first.

But I was told by the Canon reps that it'd probably cost no more than
$180 to fix. This for a camera that's probably worth no more than $400
(my guess based on eBay asking).

The reps also mentioned a program whereby I could get a 50D for $699- or
was it $599 and $699 with the kit lens- by trading in the malfunctioning
body. This is tempting, but would be much more tempting if there were a
simialar deal for the 7D- which there isn't.

--
john mcwilliams