From: BF on
Does anyone know if this printer stops when it is out of ink? When I say
out of ink, I don't mean when the printer says it is out but when there
isn't any ink left in the sponge either. I can get at least 10 - 4X6
prints after the printer says it is out of a particular color but I
don't want to push it anymore in fear of damaging the print head.
From: davy on

All printers stop when they run low on ink more so 'bubble jets' as
opposed to 'ink jets' Epson with their piezo heads that squirt ink. a
bubble jet boils the ink the bubble burst and splatters the paper in the
correct place.

Just like a kettle without water, you'll burn the nozzles out as the
ink acts as a coolant. When the printer reports low ink it's time to get
ordering supplies.

See this link 'How do bubble jets work.'
(http://mimech.com/printers/inkjet-printer-technology.asp)

davy