From: BF on
Do all CLI-8 ink cartridges have a chip on them?
From: Bast on

BF wrote:
> Do all CLI-8 ink cartridges have a chip on them?

Yup.
But it's only use is to tell the printer what kind of cartidge it is.
Ink usage is by a light that actually reads the true level as it drops
through the clear plastic case.

But I think Canon fixed that on the newest generation of printers, so now
they just guess at the level, and you can have a half full cartridge that
the printer claims is empty

From: Ron in NY on
BF <Bfor(a)adelphia.net> wrote:

>Do all CLI-8 ink cartridges have a chip on them?
Yes they do, and contrary to the last poster, the chip tells the printer how
much ink is left in the cartridge. I assume the chip is a counter and is
triggered every time the printhead prints with ink from any individual
cartridge. The chips can now be reset using a readily available chip resetter.
If, as the above poster said, the ink level was sensed by the amount of light
shining through the ink, then refilling the cart would automatically reset the
low ink warning in the printer---It doesn't--You have to use the chip resetter.

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
From: Bast on

Dyna Soar wrote:
> Ron in NY wrote:
>> BF <Bfor(a)adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>> Do all CLI-8 ink cartridges have a chip on them?
>> Yes they do, and contrary to the last poster, the chip tells the
>> printer how much ink is left in the cartridge. I assume the chip is a
>> counter and is triggered every time the printhead prints with ink
>> from any individual cartridge. The chips can now be reset using a
>> readily available chip resetter. If, as the above poster said, the
>> ink level was sensed by the amount of light shining through the ink,
>> then refilling the cart would automatically reset the low ink warning
>> in the printer---It doesn't--You have to use the chip resetter.
>

> Ron has given the correct information.
> The other post, Best, is mistaken. The chip counts the usage and needs
> to be reset after cartridges are refilled if level indication is
> required.

Well, I've got an MX-850 printer that says you are wrong.
I simply refill the cartridge, reinstall, and away it goes.

Perhaps some other canon printers are a bit more fussy then.

From: Bast on

Dyna Soar wrote:
> Bast wrote:
>> Dyna Soar wrote:

>>> Ron has given the correct information.
>>> The other post, Best, is mistaken. The chip counts the usage and
>>> needs to be reset after cartridges are refilled if level indication
>>> is required.
>>

>> Well, I've got an MX-850 printer that says you are wrong.
>> I simply refill the cartridge, reinstall, and away it goes.
>>
>> Perhaps some other canon printers are a bit more fussy then.
>
> I also have an MX850 and also an IP4500 . I can bypass the "used" (but
> not reset) chip in the printer setup if required, but then there is no
> level indication or notification when the cartridge is almost empty. This
> is why I specifically mentioned "if level indication is required"
> in my post.

I have a North American model.
And I know there are various "country" versions of firmware.
(Mine will not print CD's)

But with no hacks, my 850 shows ink levels, as well as the low ink warning,
but at that point I just refill, and snap it back in and continue printing,
with FULL ink showing. and no need to reset any chips.
Perhaps that I never let any cartridge get completely empty, the chips never
need to be reset ?

And I do know a person who saw mine, and then bought an 860, (the newer
version of the 850) and they have all kinds of problems with chips and
refills, but the 860 uses different cartridges.

A side note though.
There is a definite ink life improvement between my refills, and brand new
canon replacement cartridges.
Which seem to only be about half full when you buy them.