From: Doug Mitton on
Hello All;

Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?

I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
<2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
information before I start experimenting.

Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
Successfully?

I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
to find the references with an internet search.

I seem to remember the issues being:
- Some cards over 2 Gig would work
- Even when the card worked there was a problem with the picture
counter maxing out at some numer (999?)

Would appreciate any comments regarding card sizes you've tried and
issues you've noticed.

Thanks in advance.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.
From: MC on
Doug Mitton wrote:

> Hello All;
>
> Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?
>
> I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
> <2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
> information before I start experimenting.
>
> Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
> Successfully?
>
> I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
> to find the references with an internet search.
>
> I seem to remember the issues being:
> - Some cards over 2 Gig would work
> - Even when the card worked there was a problem with the picture
> counter maxing out at some numer (999?)
>
> Would appreciate any comments regarding card sizes you've tried and
> issues you've noticed.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Rare???

Certainly not here in th UK. In the USA the "big is beautiful" tag
also holds true for CF cards as well maybe :o).

MC
From: Ray Fischer on
Doug Mitton <doug_mitton(a)hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>Hello All;
>
>Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?

Have it but don't use it.

>I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
><2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
>information before I start experimenting.

I just popped a 16GB Lexar card into it, formatted the card, and the
camera reports 14.9GB and 999 photos available.

>Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
>Successfully?

Yep.

>I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
>to find the references with an internet search.

Doesn't seem to be an issue.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <4c3915b9$0$1611$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> >I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
> >to find the references with an internet search.
>
> Doesn't seem to be an issue.

If it is, one of the firmware updates may have corrected it. The latest
appears to be version 1.1.1 posted on 12/01/2007.

<http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eo
s_digital_slr_cameras/eos_digital_rebel#DriversAndSoftware>

Fred
From: Doug Mitton on
Doug Mitton <doug_mitton(a)hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Hello All;
>
>Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?
>
>I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
><2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
>information before I start experimenting.
>
>Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
>Successfully?
>
>I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
>to find the references with an internet search.
>
>I seem to remember the issues being:
>- Some cards over 2 Gig would work
>- Even when the card worked there was a problem with the picture
>counter maxing out at some numer (999?)
>
>Would appreciate any comments regarding card sizes you've tried and
>issues you've noticed.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the responses.

1) I have been burned a couple of times buying "older" storage devices
and batteries off of ebay. Don't get me wrong, EBay is great, its
just some things don't work as you'd expect.

I was looking at the Compact Flash (socket?) which will hold an SD
card. That looks interesting, I may have to try one out.

2) Thanks for trying out the BIG compact flash. I'll be picking up a
couple of new ones myself. It looks like the counter is limited to
999, BUT thats no problem.

3) I have the V1.1.1 factory F/W so it should work the same for me.

Thanks to all who responded.