From: Lester Zick on
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:06:02 -0500, David Marcus
<DavidMarcus(a)alumdotmit.edu> wrote:

>mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

>> > What reality? Empirically testable physical reality? A mathematical
>> > statement is not of that kind.
>>
>> Every mathematical statement is of that kind. You would recognize this
>> (if you could, but you couldn't) if all reality ceased to exist.
>
>Are all statements (not just mathematical ones) about reality?

Sure. Why not? Perhaps you'd care to suggest a statement that is not
about reality?

>> No
>> mathematics would remain. Yes, to grasp these facts, without such a
>> bad experience, i.e., during the continued existence of reality, one
>> needs some deeper thinking than is required to understand the meaning
>> of some crazy axioms.

~v~~
From: Fuckwit on
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:28:09 -0700, Lester Zick
<dontbother(a)nowhere.net> wrote:

> Sure. Why not? Perhaps you'd care to suggest a statement that is not
> about reality?

0 e IN.

From: mueckenh on
On 10 Feb., 12:13, Franziska Neugebauer <Franziska-
Neugeba...(a)neugeb.dnsalias.net> wrote:
> mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> >> One cannot determine merely from a set of nodes for a given tree
> >> whether that set of nodes is or is not a path. >
>
> > One can.
>
> Then please do so:
>
> given tree T := { a, b, c, d, e, f, g }
> given set of nodes S := { a, b, c }
>
> Tell us whether S is a path in T. And please explain that.

Pardon, I overlooked your first question.

The tree T(2) in my notation can be given as a chain by

bc
gfed

abc is the subtree T(1) with only (the root node and) one level. It is
not a path.

Here are some further representations of the tree T(2):

0.
| \
0 1
| \ | \
0101

briefly (edges are not necessary)

0.
0 1
0101

(0,1)
(1,1) (1,2)
(2,1) (2,2) (2,3) (2,4)

The last is the coordinate representation. I think it is obvious which
subsets are paths.

One of the paths in the infinite tree is the set of nodes p(oo) = {(n,
1)| n in N or n = 0}. It can also be written as a,b,g, ... or as
0.000.... In no case the order property need be mentioned.

Regards, WM

From: Franziska Neugebauer on
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> On 10 Feb., 12:13, Franziska Neugebauer <Franziska-
> Neugeba...(a)neugeb.dnsalias.net> wrote:
>> mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

>> > One can.
>>
>> Then please do so:
>>
>> given tree T := { a, b, c, d, e, f, g }
>> given set of nodes S := { a, b, c }
>>
>> Tell us whether S is a path in T. And please explain that.
>
> Pardon, I overlooked your first question.
>
> The tree T(2) in my notation can be given as a chain by

> bc
> gfed
>
> abc is the subtree T(1) with only (the root node and) one level. It is
> not a path.

Strange. My version of the tree T

/ \
b d
/ \ / \
c e f g

obviously contains a path having (the node set) S = { a, b, c }. Hence
the attempt to *uniquely* represent trees and/or paths by plain sets of
nodes fails.

F. N.
--
xyz
From: David Marcus on
Lester Zick wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:06:02 -0500, David Marcus
> <DavidMarcus(a)alumdotmit.edu> wrote:
>
> >mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> >> Every mathematical statement is of that kind. You would recognize this
> >> (if you could, but you couldn't) if all reality ceased to exist.
> >
> >Are all statements (not just mathematical ones) about reality?

Something from the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

--
David Marcus