From: Rob on
Hi,
RTD is placed into an Excel 2007 cell via an Add In. This data is updated at
random times. I would like to capture this data every minute and place it in
another cell in the same Worksheet.

Thanks.
From: JLatham on
Here I go again. Last time I answered one of these it turned into a full out
development effort. Ain't happening again!!

But... You can set up an event to run at specified intervals. One of the
better coding examples for it is Chip Pearson's code to make the text in a
cell blink. That code is called once per second, you'd just want to change
the interval to 60 seconds, and of course you'd replace the code in Sub
StartBlink with the code to capture your data and move it to the other
cell(s).

Here's the page with Chip's (in)famous blink cell text code:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Other considerations: be very certain that you reference ThisWorkbook when
referencing worksheets and cells on them because if you happen to be working
in another workbook when the routine runs, it's going to use the current
active workbook's sheets/cells if possible, and probably error out if not,
unless your code is very specific about pointing to the workbook the code is
running from. You might consider replicating the code in the
Workbook_Open() and Workbook_BeforeClose()
events in the
Workbook_Activate() and Workbook_Deactivate()
event procedures.

From: Rob on

"JLatham" wrote:

> Here I go again. Last time I answered one of these it turned into a full out
> development effort. Ain't happening again!!
>
> But... You can set up an event to run at specified intervals. One of the
> better coding examples for it is Chip Pearson's code to make the text in a
> cell blink. That code is called once per second, you'd just want to change
> the interval to 60 seconds, and of course you'd replace the code in Sub
> StartBlink with the code to capture your data and move it to the other
> cell(s).
>
> Here's the page with Chip's (in)famous blink cell text code:
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx
>
> Other considerations: be very certain that you reference ThisWorkbook when
> referencing worksheets and cells on them because if you happen to be working
> in another workbook when the routine runs, it's going to use the current
> active workbook's sheets/cells if possible, and probably error out if not,
> unless your code is very specific about pointing to the workbook the code is
> running from. You might consider replicating the code in the
> Workbook_Open() and Workbook_BeforeClose()
> events in the
> Workbook_Activate() and Workbook_Deactivate()
> event procedures.
>
> "Rob" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > RTD is placed into an Excel 2007 cell via an Add In. This data is updated at
> > random times. I would like to capture this data every minute and place it in
> > another cell in the same Worksheet.
> >
> > Thanks.

Thankyou.