From: charlie54933 on
I know to insert a new paragraph within the same cell to use the keystroke
alt-enter, however, I'm trying to make a usable form for my boss, and I'd
like to make it super user friendly and not have to have her use alt-enter
every time she needs to create a new paragraph in one particular cell. Any
way to use some kind of code to allow the new paragraph in the same cell at
just hitting the enter key?
Thank you!!
From: Bernard Liengme on
Paragraphs in cells? Excel is not a word-processing app!
Should you be using tables in Word?
best wishes

From: Gord Dibben on
Not without using code.

You cannot do it while entering the text string because code won't run while
in editing mode.

You could do it after entry with code if you trained her to use a particular
character where she wanted a new paragraph.

Upon her hitting Enter key the event code would run to substitute the
character with a linefeed.

Chr(91) is the [ character.

With Target
.Replace what:=Chr(91), replacement:=Chr(10), _
lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
End With
End Sub

Personally I think Alt + Enter is just as easy while she is entering the
text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 11:11:01 -0800, charlie54933

From: Ivan Camac Ivan on
Hi,

I am trying to achieve the same thing for an Excel document that will be
used by a huge audience within our organisation, and I am confident that
there will be much resistance to using Alt+ENTER.
I have managed to intercept the ENTER keypress whilst editing the cell with:
Application.OnKey "~", "InCellReturn" (with InCellReturn being a custom
Subroutine)

However, I can't work out how to determine where the cursor is within the
cell in order to insert the carriage return in the right place, and then
return to edit mode. I also tried SendKeys in the Sub, but this unfortunately
creates an infinite loop.

Cheers,
Ivan.

From: Ivan Camac Ivan on
Almost there... Here is the code now in the custom Sub:

Sub InCellReturn()
Dim EditRng As Range
Set EditRng = Selection.Cells(1)
EditRng.Value = EditRng.Value & Chr(10)
Application.SendKeys "{F2}"
End Sub

This works in conjunction with the Application.OnKey as long as the cursor
is at the end of the cell text. However, it is still no good if someone has
the cursor part way through the text.

Cheers,
Ivan.