From: Wes Newell on
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:24:47 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> "Wes Newell" wrote in message news:v8DGi.1334$re2.1007(a)trnddc02...
>>
>> It doesn't matter if it has 2 or 3 wires. The third wire is just a
>> speed
>> indicator. What matters is if his MB has speed control support for
>> the
>> header he's plugged into. It can control the speed of a 2 wire fan
>> just
>> like it can a 3 wire fan. And it does do this with voltage changes.
>> The
>> only difference is that you obviously won't be able to monitor the
>> speed
>> of the 2 wire fan. Now if you don't believe that, just cut the third
>> wire
>> and hook it up to a speed controlled header and try it. I just
>> finished
>> doing it to be sure I wasn't going crazy after reading your very
>> convincing BS.
>
> The 3rd wire is for speed *sensing*, yes. How do you know if changing
> the duty cycle on the fan has reduced speed unless you can actually
> measure it?

Only the voltage is changed. You may have a duty cycle in a PSU, but these
simple dc fans just need standard dc voltage. And it's easy to tell if the
speed has changed. you can hear it, see it, and feel the airflow.

> If you change the duty cycle from 100% to 50%, there may

Sorry, I just don't have time to read any more of your BS. I simply wanted
to point out your mistake about not be able to control the speed of a 2
wire fan. If you want to discuss the workings of a DC motor find someone
that has time to explain it to you or search the web.

> Personally I don't see much of a point in regulating the speed of the
> fan if you can't actually see what IS the speed of the fan so the 3rd

I'm not surprised.:-)

From: Folk on
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:08:07 -0500, "VanguardLH"
<VanguardLH(a)mail.invalid> wrote:

>No matter what you think should be available via the motherboard's
>super I/O or uGuru chips for regulating your fan's speed, it certainly
>appears it won't work with a 2-wire fan. Rather than spending more
>time on trying to solve an unsolvable setup, get a $10 3-wire case
>fan.

I agree. I've ordered a proper 3-wire case fan. It should be here on
Wed. I'll report back. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
From: Folk on
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:18:39 -0400, Folk <Folk(a)folk.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:08:07 -0500, "VanguardLH"
><VanguardLH(a)mail.invalid> wrote:
>

>>No matter what you think should be available via the motherboard's
>>super I/O or uGuru chips for regulating your fan's speed, it certainly
>>appears it won't work with a 2-wire fan. Rather than spending more
>>time on trying to solve an unsolvable setup, get a $10 3-wire case
>>fan.
>
>I agree. I've ordered a proper 3-wire case fan. It should be here on
>Wed. I'll report back. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

With a 3-wire case fan the system properly controls the fan speed.