From: Folk on

Abit IP35 Pro.

Case is an Antec Solo. It has a case fan with a Molex power connector
and a manual fan control switch. I would like to control this fan
from a fan header on the motherboard. I bought a 4 pin Molex to 3 pin
converter cable, but either I've ordered the wrong adapter cable or
there is some other issue because the fan always runs at full speed.

The cable I purchased can be seen here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=608

Is this what I need or do I need something different?

I use Abit's FanEQ to control the CPU fan and that works great. I
would like to set the same temperature criteria to the case fan so
that they work in sync.
From: Beryl on
Folk wrote:

> Abit IP35 Pro.
>
> Case is an Antec Solo. It has a case fan with a Molex power connector
> and a manual fan control switch. I would like to control this fan
> from a fan header on the motherboard. I bought a 4 pin Molex to 3 pin
> converter cable, but either I've ordered the wrong adapter cable or
> there is some other issue because the fan always runs at full speed.

Does that fan have a 3rd wire for speed sensing? I don't think so.

> The cable I purchased can be seen here:
> http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=608
>
> Is this what I need or do I need something different?
>
> I use Abit's FanEQ to control the CPU fan and that works great. I
> would like to set the same temperature criteria to the case fan so
> that they work in sync.

I wouldn't plug a powerful fan into a motherboard without verifying that
the fan header and tiny copper traces can handle the amps.
From: Folk on
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:44:14 -0700, Beryl <terrapin(a)coolbits.net>
wrote:

>Folk wrote:
>
>> Abit IP35 Pro.
>>
>> Case is an Antec Solo. It has a case fan with a Molex power connector
>> and a manual fan control switch. I would like to control this fan
>> from a fan header on the motherboard. I bought a 4 pin Molex to 3 pin
>> converter cable, but either I've ordered the wrong adapter cable or
>> there is some other issue because the fan always runs at full speed.
>
>Does that fan have a 3rd wire for speed sensing? I don't think so.

I don't think that Abit's FAN EQ thingy works on fan speed for the
system fan. From what I can tell, it provides for different voltages
based on a temperature variable. So, if the temp you're monitoring
(CPU or case temp) is, for example, 50C, then the fan could run at
12V, but if it's 35C it could run at 6V.

>> The cable I purchased can be seen here:
>> http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=608
>>
>> Is this what I need or do I need something different?
>>
>> I use Abit's FanEQ to control the CPU fan and that works great. I
>> would like to set the same temperature criteria to the case fan so
>> that they work in sync.
>
>I wouldn't plug a powerful fan into a motherboard without verifying that
>the fan header and tiny copper traces can handle the amps.

I wouldn't know how to verify that, but I'm assuming since the fan
header is designed for a case fan, and the fan is a bog standard 120mm
12 volt fan, that it will probably be OK.
From: VanguardLH on
"Folk" wrote in message
> Beryl wrote:
>>
>> Does that fan have a 3rd wire for speed sensing? I don't think so.
>
> I don't think that Abit's FAN EQ thingy works on fan speed for the
> system fan. From what I can tell, it provides for different
> voltages
> based on a temperature variable. So, if the temp you're monitoring
> (CPU or case temp) is, for example, 50C, then the fan could run at
> 12V, but if it's 35C it could run at 6V.

And where did you come up with that gem, that any software is going to
act as a voltage regulator, varistor, or rheostat? It's software, not
hardware. It works by regulating the duty cycle in the fan
controller: less duty (i.e., percentage of full-voltage pulse) means
less effective power to the fan so it spins slower but the pulse is
still at full voltage.

>>> The cable I purchased can be seen here:
>>> http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=608

Irrelevant. You were asked how many wires the *fan* has. If it only
has 2 wires, you will never be able to regulate its speed unless you
insert additional *hardware* between it and its voltage source. While
software can regulate the duty cycle for the voltage delivered to the
fan, it still needs to know what is the RPM of the fan as feedback to
know that it is making an effective change. So, back to the question,
how many wires does the fan have? 2 or 3 wires?

From: Wes Newell on
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:56:33 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> "Folk" wrote in message
>> Beryl wrote:
>>>
>>> Does that fan have a 3rd wire for speed sensing? I don't think so.
>>
>> I don't think that Abit's FAN EQ thingy works on fan speed for the
>> system fan. From what I can tell, it provides for different
>> voltages
>> based on a temperature variable. So, if the temp you're monitoring
>> (CPU or case temp) is, for example, 50C, then the fan could run at
>> 12V, but if it's 35C it could run at 6V.
>
> And where did you come up with that gem, that any software is going to
> act as a voltage regulator, varistor, or rheostat? It's software, not
> hardware. It works by regulating the duty cycle in the fan
> controller: less duty (i.e., percentage of full-voltage pulse) means
> less effective power to the fan so it spins slower but the pulse is
> still at full voltage.

> Irrelevant. You were asked how many wires the *fan* has. If it only
> has 2 wires, you will never be able to regulate its speed unless you
> insert additional *hardware* between it and its voltage source. While
> software can regulate the duty cycle for the voltage delivered to the
> fan, it still needs to know what is the RPM of the fan as feedback to
> know that it is making an effective change. So, back to the question,
> how many wires does the fan have? 2 or 3 wires?

It doesn't matter if it has 2 or 3 wires. The third wire is just a speed
indicator. What matters is if his MB has speed control support for the
header he's plugged into. It can control the speed of a 2 wire fan just
like it can a 3 wire fan. And it does do this with voltage changes. The
only difference is that you obviously won't be able to monitor the speed
of the 2 wire fan. Now if you don't believe that, just cut the third wire
and hook it up to a speed controlled header and try it. I just finished
doing it to be sure I wasn't going crazy after reading your very
convincing BS.