From: Robbie on
I have to find a replacement for a single Celestion SR-1 MK1 speaker. (2 x
10 drivers I think)

I bought these new something like 10 years ago.

I seem to recall the MK1 was rated at 500W in to 8ohms. The MKII appears to
be rated at 350W.
Can anybody tell me with certainty what the spec was and whether I
definately need to buy a MK1 replacement.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Boettcher

From: Andy Hart on
In message <V1VOf.25724$gB4.11965(a)newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>, Robbie
<robbie(a)misterb.co.uk> writes
>I have to find a replacement for a single Celestion SR-1 MK1 speaker. (2 x
>10 drivers I think)
>
>I bought these new something like 10 years ago.
>
>I seem to recall the MK1 was rated at 500W in to 8ohms. The MKII appears to
>be rated at 350W.
>Can anybody tell me with certainty what the spec was and whether I
>definately need to buy a MK1 replacement.

<http://professional.celestion.com/sr/products/sr/detail.asp?ID=1>

I use 4 x SR3's, the single driver version of yours, I had an amp output
DC and fried 3 of the drivers and replaced them with the MkII versions.

Differences?

The MkII's are 3db more efficient and rated at a lower power (as you
say), they have better high end performance (they're brighter) and I'm
driving them with the same amp (repaired) with no problems.

I don't think you can get the MkI's anyway.

I use mine with a bass bin and electronic crossover set at 125hz to move
the bins out of the vocal range, works well, nice sound without the
harshness of cheap horns.

I seem to remember that the replacement speakers were about ?72.00 each,
not cheap.

All the best
--
Regards