From: mich (at work) on
Hope someone can help me here.

I have the DDX3216 with 1 ADA8000 ADAT giving me 24 input channels.

I'm running a theatre production where the band are in a seperate part on
the building.
So I've brought 14 channels of band into page one of the desk.
I want to route them to a couple of busses, stop these 16 channels going to
the mains, but send the bus output to the mains, essentially allowing me to
control the relative output of the band via two faders. I would then group
these with a couple of spare faders on page two (where all my other mics, fx
sends etc are (fx sends grouped with appropriate page 4 faders)

This would measn I could mix most of the show from page two, without
swapping pages too often..

I've done this in the past, but I'm damned if I can remember how

Cheers,

Mich

From: Gene Sweeny on

mich (at work) wrote:
> Hope someone can help me here.
>
> I have the DDX3216 with 1 ADA8000 ADAT giving me 24 input channels.
>
> I'm running a theatre production where the band are in a seperate part on
> the building.
> So I've brought 14 channels of band into page one of the desk.
> I want to route them to a couple of busses, stop these 16 channels going to
> the mains, but send the bus output to the mains, essentially allowing me to
> control the relative output of the band via two faders. I would then group
> these with a couple of spare faders on page two (where all my other mics, fx
> sends etc are (fx sends grouped with appropriate page 4 faders)
>
> This would measn I could mix most of the show from page two, without
> swapping pages too often..
>
> I've done this in the past, but I'm damned if I can remember how

AFAIK, there is no way to do this. The buss outs are record out only.

I could be wrong, but I'd like that feature too.

From: Steve White on
"Gene Sweeny" <goo1ween(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> mich (at work) wrote:
>> Hope someone can help me here.
>>
>> I have the DDX3216 with 1 ADA8000 ADAT giving me 24 input channels.
>>
>> I'm running a theatre production where the band are in a seperate part on
>> the building.
>> So I've brought 14 channels of band into page one of the desk.
>> I want to route them to a couple of busses, stop these 16 channels going
>> the mains, but send the bus output to the mains, essentially allowing me
>> control the relative output of the band via two faders. I would then
>> group
>> these with a couple of spare faders on page two (where all my other mics,
>> fx
>> sends etc are (fx sends grouped with appropriate page 4 faders)
>>
>> This would measn I could mix most of the show from page two, without
>> swapping pages too often..
>>
>> I've done this in the past, but I'm damned if I can remember how
>
> AFAIK, there is no way to do this. The buss outs are record out only.
>
> I could be wrong, but I'd like that feature too.

I believe it can be done - by routing the bus outs to two of the 4 auxiliary
outputs and then connecting those 2 back into 2 of the input channels ...
and taking the necessary precautions to prevent a feedback loop.

Cheers,
Steve W

From: Garth D. Wiebe on
Steve White wrote:
> "Gene Sweeny" <goo1ween(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>mich (at work) wrote:
>>
>>>Hope someone can help me here.
>>>
>>>I have the DDX3216 with 1 ADA8000 ADAT giving me 24 input channels.
>>>
>>>I'm running a theatre production where the band are in a seperate part on
>>>the building.
>>>So I've brought 14 channels of band into page one of the desk.
>>>I want to route them to a couple of busses, stop these 16 channels going
>>>the mains, but send the bus output to the mains, essentially allowing me
>>>control the relative output of the band via two faders. I would then
>>>group
>>>these with a couple of spare faders on page two (where all my other mics,
>>>fx
>>>sends etc are (fx sends grouped with appropriate page 4 faders)
>>>
>>>This would measn I could mix most of the show from page two, without
>>>swapping pages too often..
>>>
>>>I've done this in the past, but I'm damned if I can remember how
>>
>>AFAIK, there is no way to do this. The buss outs are record out only.
>>
>>I could be wrong, but I'd like that feature too.
>

> I believe it can be done - by routing the bus outs to two of the 4 auxiliary
> outputs and then connecting those 2 back into 2 of the input channels ...
> and taking the necessary precautions to prevent a feedback loop.

Route the 14 "band" channels to the mains. Group them with the two
"spare" faders on "page 2" that you then do not connect or route to
anything. Now, when you move the two "spare" faders, the 14 "band"
faders move in dB proportion. Use the Isolate button to momentarily
ungroup when you want to adjust relative levels within the "band" submix.

Note that you do not even need two spare faders. It could be one.
From: Michael Peel on

"Garth D. Wiebe" <gwiebe(a)audiorail.com> wrote in message
> Steve White wrote:
>> "Gene Sweeny" <goo1ween(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>AFAIK, there is no way to do this. The buss outs are record out only.
>>>
>>>I could be wrong, but I'd like that feature too.
>>

>> I believe it can be done - by routing the bus outs to two of the 4
>> auxiliary outputs and then connecting those 2 back into 2 of the input
>> channels ... and taking the necessary precautions to prevent a feedback
>> loop.
>
> Route the 14 "band" channels to the mains. Group them with the two
> "spare" faders on "page 2" that you then do not connect or route to
> anything. Now, when you move the two "spare" faders, the 14 "band" faders
> move in dB proportion. Use the Isolate button to momentarily ungroup when
> you want to adjust relative levels within the "band" submix.
>
> Note that you do not even need two spare faders. It could be one.

Now you see, I thought I'd tried that, but was sure that all 14 channels
ended up at the exact fader position of the master grouped fader(if that
makes sense).

Thabks, I'll try that again...

M.

 |  Next  |  Last