From: KKD on
I want to limit the # of characters allowed in a cell to 11, regardless of
what the user types in (less characters is fine). How can I do this?
--
KKD
From: Paul on

Use Data Validation, and allow Text Length -> Less than or equal to ->
11. You can add information on the Error Alert tab to notify/prevent
users from entering longer data.

--
Paul

- Paul
Paul's Profile: 1697
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=192385

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

From: Gord Dibben on
Do you want a message telling user he has exceeded the 11 characters and
make him do it over?

Use Data Validation>Text Length.

You can truncate automatically to 11 or less using event code.

No messages or do-overs.

Dim oval As String
On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
oval = Target.Value
If oval = "" Then Exit Sub
If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("A")) Is Nothing Then
With Target
If Len(oval) > 11 Then
.Value = Left(oval, 11)
End If
End With
End If
ws_exit:
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: KKD on
Can I copy data into a new cell and force it to drop off any additional
characters beyond 11? Some form of truncating?
--
KKD

From: Fred Smith on
Certainly: