From: AFL-math on
I am sure that this question has been asked and answered. I am creating a
worksheet for my class. I have a value in cell b2( I want use this value
thru out the sheet). Let say b2 = 10

b c d
3 5 6 8
4 3 7 1

I want to subtract each value from b2(10). How can I do this without doing
it manually?
From: Lars-�ke Aspelin on
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:06:04 -0700, AFL-math
<AFL-math(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am sure that this question has been asked and answered. I am creating a
>worksheet for my class. I have a value in cell b2( I want use this value
>thru out the sheet). Let say b2 = 10
>
> b c d
>3 5 6 8
>4 3 7 1
>
>I want to subtract each value from b2(10). How can I do this without doing
>it manually?

Does that mean that you want the following end result
(if not, explain what result you do expect).

b c d
3 5 4 2
4 7 3 9

This may be accomplished by the following command sequence

Put -1 in any spare cell, say F10
Select cell F10 (that has the value -1)
Copy
Select cells B3:D4
Paste Special -> Operation = Multiply
Select cell B2 (that has the value 10)
Copy
Select cells B3:D4
Paste Special -> Operation = Add
Clear cell F10 (the spare cell)

Hope this helps / Lars-�ke
From: JLatham on
Refer to the cell via its absolute address: $B$2. That way as you
'drag/fill' formulas using it around on the sheet, it won't change.

To subtract a value from it
=$B$2 - 4
or even another cell reference
=$B$2 - D3