From: James on
Hi,

Hopefully a simple question for someone who knows the answer !

Having changed Administrator username to something else - Backup fails.
Change it back it works. So definitley related to a change in username not
being mirrored on a database I think - I just can't find it - full details
below.

New Install of SBS 2003 R2 Premium (with ISA,SQL 2005 and Trend CSM)

All appears to be working OK.
Then I decided to change the Administrator username as recommended in the
tasks.
All appeared OK - even still seemed to get trend updates - until I tried a
backup

Quickly failed with:
Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
"MSDEWriter" has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System State.
The backup cannot continue.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
Aborting Backup.

And then in the App event log:
SQLVDI: Loc=UserAccount::Init(name). Desc=LookupAccountName.
ErrorCode=(1332)No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
.. Process=9632. Thread=6172. Client. Instance=. VD=.

Setting username back to Administrator causes backup to work - so definitley
related to this.

Can anyone point me at where I should change the Admin name in SQL to allow
backup to work with a changed username.

I've not dug into this in any detail - but presumably I have multiple SQL
installs (MSDE for basic SBS 2003) and then SQL 2005 "proper". I've not
looked at rationalising / migrating anything to SQL 2005 - firm believer
that if it ain't broke ...

Any ideas ?

Many Thanks
James

From: bass_player on
NEver use the Administrator account in any service. Create a standard
account which belongs to the administrators group and use this to in your
services.

How are you doing your SQL Server backups? Are you using jobs?
--
MCP MCDBA MCAD MCSD MCT MCTS:SQL Server 2005
"Helping people grow and develop their full potential as God has plan for

From: Jeff Teel on
Is this a backup separate from the SBS backup that is set by the wizard?
When configuring those you have to supply a username and password with admin
rights so if you change either username or password the backup will need
changed also.

Jeff

From: James on
Thanks for the reply.

Yes - it is the SBS backup wizard - have I missed something obvious here
like a place to set the username / password ? I haven't done it so far - I
just used the "Configure Backup" wizard from Server Management - that
doesn't ask me anything about what user to run the task as - though
obviously it must know it - I sort of assumed it would just use the current
user - but maybe its set itself to the user it was installed with - in which
case how do I change it ?

Thanks
James

From: James on
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry - I obviously didn't make myself clear - I'm jsut trying to use the
standard Backup Wizard on the SBS console - I'm haven't got as far as
explicitly backing up my SQL databases yet

One I got the backup wizard going - I was going to take a look at what it
was doing - I can see it backs up the system state and exchange - but I
presume it just backs up the SQL databases as they are (does it stop them ?)

Anyway - I would plan to use the SQL backup to create backup files that the
SBS backup could then pick up - as I'm happier that I know whats going on
then

Thanks
James