From: Zaidy036 on
Eudora 7.1.0.9 uses Notepad when selecting to vew a message source.

Does anyone know how to change that to a more modern text ed like EditPad ?

It does not appear to be set in eudora.ini.

Eric
From: Zaidy036 on
On 2/7/2010 6:35 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 17:29:53 -0500, Zaidy036<ericNOSPAM(a)bloch.com>
> declaimed the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows:
>
>> Eudora 7.1.0.9 uses Notepad when selecting to vew a message source.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to change that to a more modern text ed like EditPad ?
>>
>> It does not appear to be set in eudora.ini.
>>
> One: if you have "use M$ viewer" active, then you need to tell
> Internet Explorer what program is to be used when viewing message
> source.
>
> Two: if not, what type of file name does Notepad show -- if the file
> ends with .txt, you may need to change the file association so that .txt
> files open with the editor of your preference.

I checked the following before posting my question:
(Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit)
- MS Viewer is selected and IE8 is set to use EditPadLite
- I had previously manually changed all program defaults that were
Notepad to EditPadLite

Notepad shows "eud??[1]" with "??" changing numbers with different emails

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:29:53 -0600, Zaidy036 <ericNOSPAM(a)bloch.com> wrote:

> Eudora 7.1.0.9 uses Notepad when selecting to view a message source.

Eudora does not make any such decision;
it merely stores the message into a file,
and tells Windows to open that file.

HTML messages will be stored into a file with ".htm" extension,
which Windows will open using your default web browser,
and plain text will be stored into a file with ".txt" extension,
which Windows will open using your Windows default for text files.

If you don't see a file name extension displayed,
that would be because your Windows "Folder Options"
are set by default to "hide extensions for known file types,"
which hides true complete filenames from being seen,
as well as preventing you from changing the full file name,
in case you want to disable an executable file, for example,
from remaining a danger to be opened accidentally.

Virus writers love it to be the Windows default
to hide known extensions; this is what allows them
to send you a virus whose actual name is "lovely.jpg.exe"
which Windows deceives you into believing that it is
just a nice picture, rather than an executable program.