From: Joe on
On 2009-12-15, Moog <efcmoog(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
>> Moog wrote:
>>> Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

>>> You need to manually mount it.
>>>
>>> From the output of
>>> $ sudo fdisk -l
>>> (assuming you're using ubuntu or a derivative. If not, do an fdisk -l
>>> as root)
>>> Note EXACTLY where your NTFS partitions lies.
>>>
>>> You'll than need to make a directory for your NTFS partition like such
>>>
>>> $ sudo mkdir /media/NTFS_MY_DISK
>>>
>>> And then tell Ubuntu what to mount, and where to mount it
>>>
>>> sudo mount -t ntfs /media/NTFS_MY_DISK /dev/{location of ntfs drive as
>>> given by fdisk -l ... such as /hdaX}
>>>
>>> Any issues with that, let me know.
>>>

>> I created a directory called data in /media (because that's the volume
>> name) and issued the "mount" command as above and got this:
>>
>> Error opening '/media/data': Is a directory
>> Failed to mount '/media/data': Is a directory
>
> Oops. Sorry Gordon.
>
> I should have stated
>
> $ sudo mkdir /mnt/NTFS_MY_DISK
>
> Then replace all "/media" refs with "/mnt" in my previous post.
>
> Imagine getting your medias mixed with your mounts?
>
> Apologies.

AND you have it backwards, to boot... ;-)

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/{location} /mnt/data

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
From: Gordon on
Joe wrote:
> On 2009-12-15, Moog <efcmoog(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

>>> I created a directory called data in /media (because that's the volume
>>> name) and issued the "mount" command as above and got this:
>>>
>>> Error opening '/media/data': Is a directory
>>> Failed to mount '/media/data': Is a directory
>> Oops. Sorry Gordon.
>>
>> I should have stated
>>
>> $ sudo mkdir /mnt/NTFS_MY_DISK
>>
>> Then replace all "/media" refs with "/mnt" in my previous post.
>>
>> Imagine getting your medias mixed with your mounts?
>>
>> Apologies.
>>

> AND you have it backwards, to boot... ;-)
>
> sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/{location} /mnt/data

Thanks to all who replied - got it mounted!
Do I just add that line above to fstab to automount? (without the sudo
of course....)
From: Gordon on
Gordon wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>> On 2009-12-15, Moog <efcmoog(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

>>> Oops. Sorry Gordon.
>>>
>>> I should have stated
>>>
>>> $ sudo mkdir /mnt/NTFS_MY_DISK
>>>
>>> Then replace all "/media" refs with "/mnt" in my previous post.
>>>
>>> Imagine getting your medias mixed with your mounts?
>>>
>>> Apologies.
>>>
>> AND you have it backwards, to boot... ;-)
>>
>> sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/{location} /mnt/data
>>

> Thanks to all who replied - got it mounted!
> Do I just add that line above to fstab to automount? (without the sudo
> of course....)

Found a nifty little utility in the Repositories - NTFS Config.
From: Joe on
On 2009-12-16, Gordon <gbplinux(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/{location} /mnt/data
>>

> Thanks to all who replied - got it mounted!
> Do I just add that line above to fstab to automount? (without the sudo
> of course....)

Of course not. That would be a little TOO easy... ;-)

Your fstab entry would look something like this:

/dev/{location} /mnt/data ntfs defaults,auto 0 0

From: Moog on
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 04:58:59 +0000, Joe wrote:

> AND you have it backwards, to boot... ;-)

Good lord. Bad day I had there. Apologies for the confusion all. In
future, I will proof read.

--
Moog

"Some mornings it doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through
the leather straps"