From: Gordon on
Help!
Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot with Windows
I clicked on a mounted NTFS Partition and in Properties I entered a
Mount point as /Media/Data and File type as NTFS - now it won't mount.
I get the error message:
" org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError."
Details:
"libhal.c 1399 : wrong reply from hald. Expecting an array.
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFilesystemType"

It's not in fstab, so how do I make this mount again?
From: Moog on
Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
> Help!
> Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot with Windows
> I clicked on a mounted NTFS Partition and in Properties I entered a
> Mount point as /Media/Data and File type as NTFS - now it won't mount.
> I get the error message:
> " org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError."
> Details:
> "libhal.c 1399 : wrong reply from hald. Expecting an array.
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFilesystemType"
>
> It's not in fstab, so how do I make this mount again?

You need to manually mount it.

From the output of
$ sudo fdisk -l
(assuming you're using ubuntu or a derivative. If not, do an fdisk -l
as root)
Note EXACTLY where your NTFS partitions lies.

You'll than need to make a directory for your NTFS partition like such

$ sudo mkdir /media/NTFS_MY_DISK

And then tell Ubuntu what to mount, and where to mount it

sudo mount -t ntfs /media/NTFS_MY_DISK /dev/{location of ntfs drive as
given by fdisk -l ... such as /hdaX}

Any issues with that, let me know.

--
Moog

"Some mornings it doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather
straps"
From: Gordon on
Moog wrote:
> Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
>> Help!
>> Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot with Windows
>> I clicked on a mounted NTFS Partition and in Properties I entered a
>> Mount point as /Media/Data and File type as NTFS - now it won't mount.
>> I get the error message:
>> " org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError."
>> Details:
>> "libhal.c 1399 : wrong reply from hald. Expecting an array.
>> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFilesystemType"
>>
>> It's not in fstab, so how do I make this mount again?
>
> You need to manually mount it.
>
> From the output of
> $ sudo fdisk -l
> (assuming you're using ubuntu or a derivative. If not, do an fdisk -l
> as root)
> Note EXACTLY where your NTFS partitions lies.
>
> You'll than need to make a directory for your NTFS partition like such
>
> $ sudo mkdir /media/NTFS_MY_DISK
>
> And then tell Ubuntu what to mount, and where to mount it
>
> sudo mount -t ntfs /media/NTFS_MY_DISK /dev/{location of ntfs drive as
> given by fdisk -l ... such as /hdaX}
>
> Any issues with that, let me know.

I created a directory called data in /media (because that's the volume
name) and issued the "mount" command as above and got this:

Error opening '/media/data': Is a directory
Failed to mount '/media/data': Is a directory
From: Moog on
Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
> Moog wrote:
>> Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
>>> Help!
>>> Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot with Windows
>>> I clicked on a mounted NTFS Partition and in Properties I entered a
>>> Mount point as /Media/Data and File type as NTFS - now it won't mount.
>>> I get the error message:
>>> " org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError."
>>> Details:
>>> "libhal.c 1399 : wrong reply from hald. Expecting an array.
>>> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFilesystemType"
>>>
>>> It's not in fstab, so how do I make this mount again?
>>
>> You need to manually mount it.
>>
>> From the output of
>> $ sudo fdisk -l
>> (assuming you're using ubuntu or a derivative. If not, do an fdisk -l
>> as root)
>> Note EXACTLY where your NTFS partitions lies.
>>
>> You'll than need to make a directory for your NTFS partition like such
>>
>> $ sudo mkdir /media/NTFS_MY_DISK
>>
>> And then tell Ubuntu what to mount, and where to mount it
>>
>> sudo mount -t ntfs /media/NTFS_MY_DISK /dev/{location of ntfs drive as
>> given by fdisk -l ... such as /hdaX}
>>
>> Any issues with that, let me know.
>>

> I created a directory called data in /media (because that's the volume
> name) and issued the "mount" command as above and got this:
>
> Error opening '/media/data': Is a directory
> Failed to mount '/media/data': Is a directory

Oops. Sorry Gordon.

I should have stated

$ sudo mkdir /mnt/NTFS_MY_DISK

Then replace all "/media" refs with "/mnt" in my previous post.

Imagine getting your medias mixed with your mounts?

Apologies.

From: Denis McMahon on
Gordon wrote:
> Help!
> Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot with Windows
> I clicked on a mounted NTFS Partition and in Properties I entered a
> Mount point as /Media/Data and File type as NTFS - now it won't mount.
> I get the error message:
> " org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError."
> Details:
> "libhal.c 1399 : wrong reply from hald. Expecting an array.
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFilesystemType"
>
> It's not in fstab, so how do I make this mount again?

ntfs3g maybe

Rgds

Denis McMahon