From: Miha on
Hi
I have a new install of Exchange 2007, Using Outlook 200/2007 I'm getting
the following error when trying to send an e-mail with an attachment larger
than 10 MB (from any account): error (0x80040610) : 'The message being sent
exceeds the message size established for this user.'
The e-mail doesn't even really try to send, it just sits in the outbox.
Outlook is setup in Exchange server cached mode. I have searched the
Internet and found advice on checking/changing the following values in the
new Exchange Management Shell (the command line tool for managing Exchange
2007):

get-sendconnector shows the send connector has a MaxMessageSize of 15MB
(which I changed from the default setting of 10MB)
get-recieveconnector shows both the default (port 25) and client (port 587)
recieve connectors have a MaxMessageSize of 15MB (which I also changed from
the default of 10MB)
get-transportconfig shows MaxSendSize and MaxReceiveSize are 15MB.
get-Mailbox shows MaxSendSize and MaxReceiveSize are unlimited.

I've restarted the MS Exchange Transport Service twice, which had no effect
and then I've also rebooted the server. I can receive file attachments
larger than 10 MB sent from the Internet (outside of the exchange server,
not user to user within), so that limit change from 10MB to 15MB seems to
have taken effect, but sending files larger than 10MB inside organization
doesn't work.
Any ideas what to do next?
Regards,Miha

From: Andy David {MVP} on
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 21:57:08 +0200, "Miha" <miha.bernik(a)email.si>
wrote:

>Hi
>I have a new install of Exchange 2007, Using Outlook 200/2007 I'm getting
>the following error when trying to send an e-mail with an attachment larger
>than 10 MB (from any account): error (0x80040610) : 'The message being sent
>exceeds the message size established for this user.'
>The e-mail doesn't even really try to send, it just sits in the outbox.
>Outlook is setup in Exchange server cached mode. I have searched the
>Internet and found advice on checking/changing the following values in the
>new Exchange Management Shell (the command line tool for managing Exchange
>2007):

That message usually indicates the global setting has been exceeded (
Outlook 2007 being much better at this).

Have you tried sending from OWA? Restarting the IS?

From: Miha on
Strange, it started working during the night :-) Maybe Exchange needs some
time to get it :-)

From: Beoweolf on
At that size (10Mb +) I suspect that your ISP is diddling with the filtering
mail. There has been an increase surreptitious delay at peak times large
sized email...which is released later, after hours or once congestion
subsides. This is one way ISP's can mask the fact that they are near or at
the limit of their capacity.

You can change your internal settings as much as you want, but it possible
that the issue is not at your end, matter of fact may not even be your ISP
either. Anywhere in the transit path has the potential to "shape" delivery -
delaying larger message delivery is generally the first step.

From: Andy David {MVP} on
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:46:03 -0700, "Beoweolf"
<zenner(a)zenner-assc.com> wrote:

>At that size (10Mb +) I suspect that your ISP is diddling with the filtering
>mail. There has been an increase surreptitious delay at peak times large
>sized email...which is released later, after hours or once congestion
>subsides. This is one way ISP's can mask the fact that they are near or at
>the limit of their capacity.
>
>You can change your internal settings as much as you want, but it possible
>that the issue is not at your end, matter of fact may not even be your ISP
>either. Anywhere in the transit path has the potential to "shape" delivery -
>delaying larger message delivery is generally the first step.

If the message is sitting in the outbox, it has nothing to do with the
ISP.