From: gerrycurtis on
A peculiar problem has arisen whereby I am no longer able to create a
universal distribution group in exchange management console (or shell).
I have previously had no problem with this.
The error message that comes up is as follows after trying to create a
distribution group called Extended Services. Saturn.falmouth.local is one of
our domain controllers:

Active Directory operation failed on saturn.falmouth.local. This error is
not retriable. Additional information: An attempt was made to modify an
object to include an attribute that is not legal for its class.
Active directory response: 0000207D: UpdErr: DSID-03150F9C, problem 6002
(OBJ_CLASS_VIOLATION), data 0

An object class violation occurred.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
new-DistributionGroup -Name 'Extended Services' -Type 'Distribution'
-OrganizationalUnit 'falmouth.local/Users' -SamAccountName 'Extended
Services' -Alias 'ExtendedServices'

I have also tried creating a universal distribution group in AD then
selecting in management console. I get the same error.
Any help would be most appreciated.

From: Michael Dragone on
Interesting. What version of Windows Server are all your domain controllers
running? Is Saturn a new DC?

From: gerrycurtis on
Thanks for your interest -
All (both) our domain controllers are running server 2003 with the latest
service packs. Saturn is a fairly old DC (not the FSMO). The exchange server
is also 2003 but is 64 bit. The exchange server has the latest SP installed.
Cheers
Gerry

From: Michael Dragone on
What happens if you force the New-DistributionGroup cmdlet to use the other
DC with the -DomainController parameter?

From: gerrycurtis on
I've just tried that. Here is the result:

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\gerry\My
Documents\MyScripts>new-DistributionGroup -Name 'Extended Services' -Type
'Distr
ibution' -OrganizationalUnit 'falmouth.local/Users' -SamAccountName
'Extended Services' -Alias 'ExtendedServices' -Domai
nController 'jupiter.falmouth.local'
New-DistributionGroup : Active Directory operation failed on
jupiter.falmouth.local. This error is not retriable. Addit
ional information: An attempt was made to modify an object to include an
attribute that is not legal for its class.
Active directory response: 0000207D: UpdErr: DSID-03150F9C, problem 6002
(OBJ_CLASS_VIOLATION), data 0
At line:1 char:22
+ new-DistributionGroup <<<< -Name 'Extended Services' -Type 'Distribution'
-OrganizationalUnit 'falmouth.local/Users'
-SamAccountName 'Extended Services' -Alias 'ExtendedServices'
-DomainController 'jupiter.falmouth.local'

So - you can see I get the same error message again. Something seems to have
changed the AD schema for distribution groups!!
Gerry