From: Michael Dragone on
Any chance someone restored AD to an earlier point in time? Are you using
any kind of virtualization? I would also run DCDIAG and NETDIAG just to make
sure everything is copacetic.

From: gerrycurtis on
Not to my knowledge though the AD Schema was changed by a School Database
system [SIMS] that provisions users from the school admin database into AD.
(We are a high school in the UK). The techs who carried this out assured me
that it would not affect anything else in any way. I'm not using
virtualisation but will run DCDIAG and NETDIAG just to check things out,
though the rest of the network is fine. I will contact the SIMS guys again.
Meanwhile I was wondering if I would screw up my whole exchange system if I
re-ran the exchange AD schema setup again to try and repair it. On second
thoughts this seems too drastic - I would love to be able to repair just the
bit that was wrong if I knew what it was!

From: Michael Dragone on
You might not be able to rerun the Exchange schema setup again if Exchange
thinks it's already been done.
If these problems started soon after these techs came in and modified your
AD schema, well, there you go.

From: Big Al on

"gerrycurtis" wrote:

> A peculiar problem has arisen whereby I am no longer able to create a
> universal distribution group in exchange management console (or shell).
> I have previously had no problem with this.
> The error message that comes up is as follows after trying to create a
> distribution group called Extended Services. Saturn.falmouth.local is one of
> our domain controllers:
>
> Active Directory operation failed on saturn.falmouth.local. This error is
> not retriable. Additional information: An attempt was made to modify an
> object to include an attribute that is not legal for its class.
> Active directory response: 0000207D: UpdErr: DSID-03150F9C, problem 6002
> (OBJ_CLASS_VIOLATION), data 0
>

> An object class violation occurred.
>
> Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
> new-DistributionGroup -Name 'Extended Services' -Type 'Distribution'
> -OrganizationalUnit 'falmouth.local/Users' -SamAccountName 'Extended
> Services' -Alias 'ExtendedServices'
>
> I have also tried creating a universal distribution group in AD then
> selecting in management console. I get the same error.
> Any help would be most appreciated.

Gerry

We're in the same boat here - not long had Capita techs come in and install
Learning Gateway and now we can't create mail enabled groups in Exchange
2003. We're going to contact Capita, but have you got anywhere with this?

Thanks

Alan
From: gerrycurtis on
Cheers Big Al
That may answer the question! This can't be coincidental. I will contact
Capita now and see what they have to say! What School are you?

Gerry