From: Big Al on
Redland High School

From: gerrycurtis on
I raised a call with capita and they investigated and decided that their
installation did not cause the problem.
Back to square 1.

From: gerrycurtis on
Hi - I've just run PrepareScema and PrepareAd. They appeared to run
successfully and showed the progress dots and success messages. However, it
did not cure the problem!!
I still can't create distribution groups.
Gerry

From: Michael Dragone on
Any clues after enabling the diagnostic logging as James suggested?

From: gerrycurtis on

"gerrycurtis" wrote:

> A peculiar problem has arisen whereby I am no longer able to create a
> universal distribution group in exchange management console (or shell).
> I have previously had no problem with this.
> The error message that comes up is as follows after trying to create a
> distribution group called Extended Services. Saturn.falmouth.local is one of
> our domain controllers:
>
> Active Directory operation failed on saturn.falmouth.local. This error is
> not retriable. Additional information: An attempt was made to modify an
> object to include an attribute that is not legal for its class.
> Active directory response: 0000207D: UpdErr: DSID-03150F9C, problem 6002
> (OBJ_CLASS_VIOLATION), data 0
>

> An object class violation occurred.
>
> Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
> new-DistributionGroup -Name 'Extended Services' -Type 'Distribution'
> -OrganizationalUnit 'falmouth.local/Users' -SamAccountName 'Extended
> Services' -Alias 'ExtendedServices'
>
> I have also tried creating a universal distribution group in AD then
> selecting in management console. I get the same error.
> Any help would be most appreciated.

I finally solved the problem by running the following in Exchange powershell
window:
E:
cd \setup\data
dir schema* | foreach {ldifde -i -f $_.name -c "<SchemaContainerDN>"
"CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=falmouth,DC=local" -v }

E: is the DVD drive containing the Exchange installation package
Change The CN and DC to your own.
This uses the ldifde utility to reinstall all the AD schema for exchange,
correcting errors.
NOTE - this is a low level fix not recommended by MS unless all else fails.

Thanks to all who helped
Gerry