From: Hillel Bodek on
I am in the process of transferring my Eudora Pro 7.1.09 from an XP OS
Computer to a Windows 7 Computer. I downloaded the program to desktop and
ran it. It listed a path for the data
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora, however, it didn't create
the folder in the user area for me to transfer my data. I created the
folder myself and placed my data in that folder. However, it does not
recognize that data folder. When I checked help in the Eudora program, is
showed that the data path as the same as the Program path.

I deleted the Eudora installation I did and the rebooted my computer. I
then reinstalled Eudora and, once again, checked the data path to the users
area. When I clicked on the help area the data was again using the program
path.

How can I get Eudora to recognize the proper path?

Thanks in advance.

Hillel Bodek

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/21/2010 10:21 AM, Hillel Bodek wrote:

> I am in the process of transferring my Eudora Pro 7.1.0.9
> from an XP Computer to a Windows 7 Computer.
> I downloaded the program to desktop and ran it.

I assume you mean that you downloaded the installer,
perhaps from http://www.eudora.com/download/

> It listed a path for the data
> C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora,
> however, it didn't create the folder in the user area

Do you mean that the _installer_ "listed a path,"
or do you mean that after completing the installation
and starting up Eudora, _then_ you saw that path
(with your own actual user name in place of "username")
displayed by "Help" > "About Eudora,"
as in that now updated picture:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=44035

When you installed, did you select the original default
(something like "user application data") for the location of mail,
rather than selecting any different location yourself?

If you then started up Eudora and saw that path name displayed
(as normally results from the above default),
then this "Data" folder already existed at that time.

What makes you think that it did not exist?

Simply clicking on the displayed path while Eudora is running,
as indicated in that now updated picture, would have opened that folder,
at which point you could have closed the Eudora program,
leaving the folder open, and then have been able
to copy the entire content of your old "Data" folder
into this "virgin" new folder,
arriving at a perfectly completed installation.

> I created the folder myself and placed my data in that folder.

I suspect that something went wrong here,
but unless "Big Brother was watching you,"
it might be difficult to reconstruct exactly what happened at that time.

If you open the "Application" folder (just click on it)
and find a "Eudora.ini" (not "Deudora.ini) and other user files (e.g. mailboxes)
then it might be concluded that you may have copied all data
into the application (programs) folder instead
(e.g. after possibly accidentally clicking the wrong line above,
and not noticing that one had landed at the wrong airport :)

> However, it does not recognize that data folder.
> When I checked Help [About Eudora] in the Eudora program,
> it showed the data path the same as the Program path.

Assuming that you have not begun using the program
with the data in the wrong location, you could manually
delete the entire specific "Qualcomm" application folder
(programs and all), and just start to install all over again
(there is no need to first uninstall).

If you type %APPDATA% (including "percent" symbols)
into a Windows "Run" box (WindowsKey+R)
or into the "location bar" of any "Windows Explorer" window,
it should, in principle, open C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming
(with your own user name), even if there is a "hidden" folder in this path;
then you could find the "Qualcomm" then "Eudora" (data) folder from there.

> I deleted the Eudora installation and rebooted my computer.
> I then reinstalled Eudora and, once again,
> when I clicked on the help area
> the data was again using the program path.

This could occur if "data" files (particularly Eudora.ini)
got created or copied to the "program files" path,
after which Eudora would try to keep using that folder again,
according to its logic for finding a "data" folder after being launched.

Uninstalling Eudora would never remove any "data" files which had
sneaked into the "programs" folder, and this cycle might then continue
until you deleted those manually (such as by removing the entire
"Qualcomm" programs folder, or the entire "Eudora" folder under it,
which is a simple and thorough way to "sterilize" the entire area
before installing anew).