From: Peter Ceresole on
I'm using Palm Desktop 4.2.1 in OS 10.6.4, on an Intel iMac. I use it
because I'm used to it, it perfectly fulfils my needs, and I find it
easy to update across two Macs, a MBP and an iMac. For years now I have
done this by synching a Palm TX to the MBP (which is running 10.5.8),
then copying the User Data file acrss the LAN to the iMac. I used to do
this with the previous iMac G5, running 10.4.11, and it worked
perfectly. However when I copy the User Data file to the Intel
iMac/10.6.4, it finishes up locked. I can't unlock it using Get Info (it
says it unlocks it, but then it doesn't) or BatChmod, which although it
has an 'unlock' button, doesn't do anything if I click it.

This certainly didn't happen with the previous setup.

What's going on? Is there any way round it?
--
Peter
From: Peter Ceresole on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm using Palm Desktop 4.2.1 in OS 10.6.4

> What's going on? Is there any way round it?

Just as a data point- if instead of sending the User Data file from the
MBP to the iMac via a USB thumb drive, rather than via the LAN, it opens
telling me that the 'file is busy', but then it does open okay, and lets
me change the content, which it doesn't allow me to do after a LAN
transfer.

I was anticipating problems with my older apps on 10.6.4, but for
instance Eudora 6.2.4 has been as good as gold. Permissions and
attributes have been the only real bugaboos, and only really in this
particular case.

So I'd like to sort it out if I can.
--
Peter
From: Peter Ceresole on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Just as a data point-, it opens
> telling me that the 'file is busy', but then it does open okay, and lets
> me change the content, which it doesn't allow me to do after a LAN
> transfer.

GAAAAAH!

That should have read 'if sending the User Data file from the MBP to the
iMac via a USB thumb drive, instead of via the LAN, it opens telling me
that 'file is busy''.

After my bed time...
--
Peter
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-24 23:31:41 +0100, Peter Ceresole said:

> Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm using Palm Desktop 4.2.1 in OS 10.6.4
>
>> What's going on? Is there any way round it?

Are you able to do an "ls -lO" on the file before and after attempts to
unlock it?

ls -lO <drag file here, press return>
.... do your batchmod thing ...
ls -lO <drag file here, press return>

> Just as a data point- if instead of sending the User Data file from the
> MBP to the iMac via a USB thumb drive, rather than via the LAN, it opens
> telling me that the 'file is busy', but then it does open okay, and lets
> me change the content, which it doesn't allow me to do after a LAN
> transfer.

Are you opening it from the USB stick, or copying it onto the Mac?

Is there a resource fork on this file? If the USB stick's formatted
using FAT, then the resource fork looks like a separate file, and maybe
that's still open.

To find what has a file open, type "sudo lsof". There's a lot of output...

> I was anticipating problems with my older apps on 10.6.4, but for
> instance Eudora 6.2.4 has been as good as gold. Permissions and
> attributes have been the only real bugaboos, and only really in this
> particular case.
>
> So I'd like to sort it out if I can.

The other possibility is there's a file system problem on your Mac,
which is causing the locked etc stuff to not work.
--
Chris

From: Peter Ceresole on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> Are you opening it from the USB stick, or copying it onto the Mac?
>
> Is there a resource fork on this file? If the USB stick's formatted
> using FAT, then the resource fork looks like a separate file, and maybe
> that's still open.

Copying and then opening on the iMac. The stick is FAT16- Anne uses it
to carry her Powerpoint lecture files- so I'll check that out.

This is the only file that does this, so I don't think it's a general
problem...
--
Peter