From: Ned on
G'day. I've got a document in Word with chapters Red, Blue, Yellow, etc. I
want these chapters to appear in my header automatically so people flipping
through the document can see what chapter they are in by looking at the
header. How can I make the chapter titles appear in the header
automatically through my Word document like that?
Thanks

From: Sandgroper on

"Ned" <ned(a)news.hey> wrote in message
> G'day. I've got a document in Word with chapters Red, Blue, Yellow, etc.
> I want these chapters to appear in my header automatically so people
> flipping through the document can see what chapter they are in by looking
> at the header. How can I make the chapter titles appear in the header
> automatically through my Word document like that?
> Thanks

From memory , at the start of the first chapter , in the header section ,
create your header and then you will need to go to page set up and then
select from the "Applies To" drop box "This Point Forward" for that chapter
and then when you do the next chapter , your repeat the process but change
the header name.
In short what you will be doing is creating header sections for each
chapter.

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

From: Atom Egoyan on
"Sandgroper" <woodbudgie(a)DROPKNICKERSgmail.com> writes:

>"Ned" <ned(a)news.hey> wrote in message
>> G'day. I've got a document in Word with chapters Red, Blue, Yellow, etc.
>> I want these chapters to appear in my header automatically so people
>> flipping through the document can see what chapter they are in by looking
>> at the header. How can I make the chapter titles appear in the header
>> automatically through my Word document like that?
>> Thanks
>>

>From memory , at the start of the first chapter , in the header section ,
>create your header and then you will need to go to page set up and then
>select from the "Applies To" drop box "This Point Forward" for that chapter
>and then when you do the next chapter , your repeat the process but change
>the header name.
>In short what you will be doing is creating header sections for each
>chapter.

>--

>Sandgroper

Or try this. Change to the Header [View Header and Footer]. Then
Insert Field. Now look for the field StyleRef and select the style
Heading 1. This will put a line in the header consisting of whatever
text corresponds to Heading 1. If you are using Heading 1 for your
chapter titles, when that changes, so will your running head.

Or so I tell my PhD students....

Atom Egoyan
Melbourne, Australia