From: Andy on
I picked up a virus which totally disabled one of my hard drives. The drive
is not detected in Windows Explorer but is visible in Disk Management.
I have backed up most of the data, but not the last few weeks.
Is it possible to retrieve the data and not have to format the drive?

Thanks
Andy

From: XR8 Sprintless on
On 2/04/2010 2:33 PM, Andy wrote:
> I picked up a virus which totally disabled one of my hard drives. The drive
> is not detected in Windows Explorer but is visible in Disk Management.
> I have backed up most of the data, but not the last few weeks.
> Is it possible to retrieve the data and not have to format the drive?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

have you got another machine running Windows there. Plug the hard drive
into that and when it boots it should run a checkdisk which should fix
your issues.

From: Rod Speed on
Andy wrote:
> I picked up a virus which totally disabled one of my hard drives. The drive is not detected in Windows Explorer but is
> visible in Disk Management.

Most likely its seen by Win as not formatted anymore.

> I have backed up most of the data, but not the last few weeks.
> Is it possible to retrieve the data and not have to format the drive?

Yes, most likely one of the recovery systems will return it from the dead.

I like Easy Recovery Pro myself, but its not free and not cheap if you have to pay for it.

From: Rod Speed on
XR8 Sprintless wrote
> Andy wrote

>> I picked up a virus which totally disabled one of my hard drives.
>> The drive is not detected in Windows Explorer but is visible in Disk Management. I have backed up most of the data,
>> but not the last few weeks.
>> Is it possible to retrieve the data and not have to format the drive?

> have you got another machine running Windows there. Plug the hard drive into that and when it boots it should run a
> checkdisk which should fix your issues.

The last thing you should do is run chkdsk on it.