From: Bert Hyman on
I'm looking for a relatively cheap handheld device with a Web browser
that can access the internet through WiFi. Being able to log on to
public hotspots and access WEP and WPA protected routers is essential.

I use T-Mobile pre-paid cell service, but don't want to pay the freight
for a contract which includes Web access through T-Mobile's network.

It looks like a USA-standards unlocked GSM phone, a GSM phone locked to
T-Mobile's USA network or a stand-alone PDA with the required Web & WiFi
support is what I'm looking for.

If non-GSM, non-T-Mobile phones will work in WiFi mode without
activation, I'm open to those too.

My first search led me to an unlocked Motorola ZN5 for $190, but I
couldn't find anything describing its ability to connect to hotspots or
protected networks.

Can anybody suggest devices & sources for something that would work?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: Warren Oates on
In article <Xns9D056FDA0DA8CVeebleFetzer(a)216.250.188.140>,
Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:

> Can anybody suggest devices & sources for something that would work?

iPod Touch?
--
Very old woody beets will never cook tender.
-- Fannie Farmer
From: Bert Hyman on
In news:018e42e8$0$11380$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com Warren Oates
<warren.oates(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <Xns9D056FDA0DA8CVeebleFetzer(a)216.250.188.140>,
> Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anybody suggest devices & sources for something that would work?
>
> iPod Touch?

I discounted that without checking because I thought it was too expensive,
but the 8GB is only $200 now.

Thanks for the reminder.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: DevilsPGD on
In message <Xns9D057EBB68703VeebleFetzer(a)216.250.188.141> Bert Hyman
<bert(a)iphouse.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>In news:018e42e8$0$11380$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com Warren Oates
><warren.oates(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <Xns9D056FDA0DA8CVeebleFetzer(a)216.250.188.140>,
>> Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can anybody suggest devices & sources for something that would work?
>>
>> iPod Touch?
>
>I discounted that without checking because I thought it was too expensive,
>but the 8GB is only $200 now.

You can probably do better if you watch the refurbs or Craigslist.
From: dold on
Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a relatively cheap handheld device with a Web browser
> that can access the internet through WiFi. Being able to log on to
> public hotspots and access WEP and WPA protected routers is essential.

Used iPhones or iPod Touch, or certain Blackberry models.

I know some folks with several... sometimes retiring them as music players
with no cellular.

The iPod Touch would be the most obvious, since it never did anything but
WiFi, and there wouldn't be any configuration problems. I don't know about
an iPhone without a cellular plan.

The BlackBerry expects to have WiFi authorized by a previous cellular
connection, but various postings indicate that it can be configured to
avoid that.