From: ps56k on
A neighbor asked for some help in setting up their network
and getting some upstairs computers networked
to the WAP/Router located in the den.... a Dlink-615 -

Everything was already setup by their son,
and should have worked ok -
except for the den computer which still had the PPPoE client
prior to purchasing the WAP/Router.

Anyway - I like to start at the least common point and build,
so I turned the router from b,g,n to just b/g -
And was thinking..... of RF signal coverage vs flat out speed,
since the end connection is a 1.5mbit DSL line.

I was wondering the ramifications - ignoring compatibility -
of choosing the different "modes" for the WAP...

SO - how is a b/g setting vs the b/g/n mixed mode setting
I seem to recall some interaction in mixed modes,
but can't remember if it was related to B/G or the N mode.

How do the different modes effect range ?
What about going 20mhz compat vs 40mhz channel ?

Basically just thinking of all the "choices" in a real world situation
where the "range" or "reach" of the WAP
is probably more important than a local LAN speed demon,
since the end connection is only a DSL line of 1.5mbit...

--
----------------------------------
"If everything seems to be going well,

From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, ps56k
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> A neighbor asked for some help in setting up their network
> and getting some upstairs computers networked
> to the WAP/Router located in the den.... a Dlink-615 -
>
> Everything was already setup by their son,
> and should have worked ok -
> except for the den computer which still had the PPPoE client
> prior to purchasing the WAP/Router.

When you say 'should', do you mean that some of it isn't working?

> Basically just thinking of all the "choices" in a real world situation
> where the "range" or "reach" of the WAP
> is probably more important than a local LAN speed demon,
> since the end connection is only a DSL line of 1.5mbit...

Whilst someone could give an answer, there are many variables involved so
it's probably best just to test it and see what combination of settings work
best.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,

From: TBerk on

What are the computers/adapters using?; B/G/N?

berk
From: ps56k on

"TBerk" <bayareaberk(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> What are the computers/adapters using?; B/G/N?

irrelevant - it's an academic discussion....

sort of like the old 56k modem transmission constellation patterns
vs the quality of the copper lines, analog/digital conversions, etc -

From: Steve Fenwick on
In article <hjdhqb$ijv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"ps56k" <pschuman_no_spam_me(a)interserv.com> wrote:

> "TBerk" <bayareaberk(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> > What are the computers/adapters using?; B/G/N?
> >

> irrelevant - it's an academic discussion....
>
> sort of like the old 56k modem transmission constellation patterns
> vs the quality of the copper lines, analog/digital conversions, etc -

Uh, why? Cables companies in the US are deploying 20Mbps+ connections.
Internal uses (e.g., streaming HD, backups) can take advantage of
802.11n 2x2 rates and then some.

Apple is shipping all their Macs with at least 2x2 802.11n. HP and Dell
seem to at least offer 802.11n (but number of spatial streams not
apparent) even in their least expensive laptops. 802.11b is pretty much
dead; even phones that have WiFi tend to have at least 802.11g.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of