From: bitz on
Should encription like wep / wpa etc be any different if your laptop
is connected in Wireless N mode v's G or B etc.
Here's whats bugging me at the moment. I have a new toshiba laptop
with wireless N capabilities and a dlink DIR-615 router. The DIR-615
has a setting which can force "wireless N only" mode which i turned on
just to test out the wireless N speeds etc. With encription turned off
it connects ok (speed was 150mbs ..5m across the room). The minute i
turn wep or wpa or wpa2 on my laptop wont connect (yeh im putting in
the same passcode into the laptop etc!). Yet if if change the router
to accept all speeds (ie wireless N G B etc), it connects ok wiht
WEP/WPA etc but only connects at 54mbit G settings ..not N. Basically
if i use any encription ie wpa/wep etc it wont connect with wireless
N settings?

Any ideas?
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, bitz
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> With encription turned off
> it connects ok (speed was 150mbs ..5m across the room). The minute i
> turn wep or wpa or wpa2 on my laptop wont connect (yeh im putting in
> the same passcode into the laptop etc!). Yet if if change the router
> to accept all speeds (ie wireless N G B etc), it connects ok wiht
> WEP/WPA etc but only connects at 54mbit G settings

Update firmware on the router and make sure you've got the latest wireless
drivers. Try either a different router or a different client PC/wireless
adapter to prove it off.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,

From: Tony Hwang on
bitz wrote:
> Should encription like wep / wpa etc be any different if your laptop
> is connected in Wireless N mode v's G or B etc.
> Here's whats bugging me at the moment. I have a new toshiba laptop
> with wireless N capabilities and a dlink DIR-615 router. The DIR-615
> has a setting which can force "wireless N only" mode which i turned on
> just to test out the wireless N speeds etc. With encription turned off
> it connects ok (speed was 150mbs ..5m across the room). The minute i
> turn wep or wpa or wpa2 on my laptop wont connect (yeh im putting in
> the same passcode into the laptop etc!). Yet if if change the router
> to accept all speeds (ie wireless N G B etc), it connects ok wiht
> WEP/WPA etc but only connects at 54mbit G settings ..not N. Basically
> if i use any encription ie wpa/wep etc it wont connect with wireless
> N settings?
>

> Any ideas?
Hi,
I had similar issue with Belkin N+router. It is a design fault of WiFi
radio chip in the router. Maybe your D-link router uses same chip.

From: Bob on
On 21/01/2010 23:56, Tony Hwang wrote:
> bitz wrote:
>> Should encription like wep / wpa etc be any different if your laptop
>> is connected in Wireless N mode v's G or B etc.
>> Here's whats bugging me at the moment. I have a new toshiba laptop
>> with wireless N capabilities and a dlink DIR-615 router. The DIR-615
>> has a setting which can force "wireless N only" mode which i turned on
>> just to test out the wireless N speeds etc. With encription turned off
>> it connects ok (speed was 150mbs ..5m across the room). The minute i
>> turn wep or wpa or wpa2 on my laptop wont connect (yeh im putting in
>> the same passcode into the laptop etc!). Yet if if change the router
>> to accept all speeds (ie wireless N G B etc), it connects ok wiht
>> WEP/WPA etc but only connects at 54mbit G settings ..not N. Basically
>> if i use any encription ie wpa/wep etc it wont connect with wireless
>> N settings?
>>

>> Any ideas?
> Hi,
> I had similar issue with Belkin N+router. It is a design fault of WiFi
> radio chip in the router. Maybe your D-link router uses same chip.

It was a function of the 802.11n draft.

"The IEEE* 802.11n Draft prohibits using High Throughput with WEP or
TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (e.g.
WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps. Newer Intel�
wireless adapter client drivers connect using a legacy IEEE 802.11g
connection rather than failing to connect altogether, which complies
with the IEEE 802.11n draft."
<http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-025643.htm>
From: ps56k on

"Bob" <bob(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 21/01/2010 23:56, Tony Hwang wrote:
>> bitz wrote:
>>> Should encription like wep / wpa etc be any different if your laptop
>>> is connected in Wireless N mode v's G or B etc.
>>> Here's whats bugging me at the moment. I have a new toshiba laptop
>>> with wireless N capabilities and a dlink DIR-615 router. The DIR-615
>>> has a setting which can force "wireless N only" mode which i turned on
>>> just to test out the wireless N speeds etc. With encription turned off
>>> it connects ok (speed was 150mbs ..5m across the room). The minute i
>>> turn wep or wpa or wpa2 on my laptop wont connect (yeh im putting in
>>> the same passcode into the laptop etc!). Yet if if change the router
>>> to accept all speeds (ie wireless N G B etc), it connects ok wiht
>>> WEP/WPA etc but only connects at 54mbit G settings ..not N. Basically
>>> if i use any encription ie wpa/wep etc it wont connect with wireless
>>> N settings?
>>>

>>> Any ideas?
>> Hi,
>> I had similar issue with Belkin N+router. It is a design fault of WiFi
>> radio chip in the router. Maybe your D-link router uses same chip.
>>
> It was a function of the 802.11n draft.
>
> "The IEEE* 802.11n Draft prohibits using High Throughput with WEP or TKIP
> as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (e.g. WEP,
> WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps. Newer Intel� wireless
> adapter client drivers connect using a legacy IEEE 802.11g connection
> rather than failing to connect altogether, which complies with the IEEE
> 802.11n draft."
> <http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-025643.htm>

wow - thanks for posting -
will have to remember that for future....
does the actual "N" spec now allow for these encryptions ?