From: Candy on
Hello,

I am trying to send an email. I have entered an email address in the to
section that I do not want to save to my contacts file. Outlook will not let
me send unless I do.

This was not happening before last week when my computer crashed and was
fixed. How do I get Outlook to let me send my email without saving the
contact? My contacts files will become huge if I have to save the email
address of every single person I write to.

Please help. And thanks in advance.

Candy
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Candy" <Candy(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to send an email. I have entered an email address in the to
> section that I do not want to save to my contacts file. Outlook will not
> let
> me send unless I do.
>
> This was not happening before last week when my computer crashed and was
> fixed. How do I get Outlook to let me send my email without saving the
> contact? My contacts files will become huge if I have to save the email
> address of every single person I write to.

What do you mean by "won't let you"? Does a pair of arms reach out of your
computer and tie you up?

You have to give us some detail. State your Outlook version and account type.
Tell us exactly what you're doing, clicking, etc. and exactly what happens
when you try? You must post the exact and complete text of any errors that
display. With that information we can probably explain.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: VanguardLH on
Candy wrote:

> I am trying to send an email. I have entered an email address in the
> to section that I do not want to save to my contacts file. Outlook
> will not let me send unless I do.
>
> This was not happening before last week when my computer crashed and
> was fixed. How do I get Outlook to let me send my email without
> saving the contact? My contacts files will become huge if I have to
> save the email address of every single person I write to.

You can enter whatever e-mail address you want in the To, Cc, and Bcc
fields displayed in the new-mail editor window. You do not have to save
these e-mail addresses as contact records in your address book.
However, they will get saved in your nickname cache file (.nk2) but why
would you care that they got cached? The cache is only to make it
convenient to lookup a previously entered e-mail string when you are
entering it again later. You could delete the .nk2 file and let it
rebuild but that still has nothing to do with your claimed problem.

You never bothered to identify WHICH version of Outlook that you have.
The later versions have an option to save the e-mail addresses of those
to whom you write e-mails in your contact records or into a safe senders
whitelist. So just disable that option if you don't want everyone to
whom you write e-mails to get a contact record added for them.

--- Posting Hints ---

ALWAYS REVIEW your message before submitting it. You want someone OTHER
than yourself to understand your post. Also remember that no one here
is looking over your shoulder to see at what you are pointing. If you
don't well explain your situation by providing the DETAILS that you
already know, don't expect others to know what is your situation.
Explain YOUR computing environment and just what actions you take to
reproduce the problem.

Often you get just one chance per potential respondent to elicit a reply
from them. If they skip your post because you gave them nothing to go
on (no details, no versions, no OS, no context) then they will usually
move on to the next post and never return to yours.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

When using a webnews-for-dummies interface (e.g., Microsoft's
Communities, Google Groups, or a leech site using a forum-to-Usenet
proxy), those are gateways to Usenet. Despite the pretense of a forum,
you are participating in a newsgroup (aka Usenet).

How to post to newsgroups:
http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

Regarding error or status messages:
- Do NOT omit the message.
- Do NOT describe the message.
- Do NOT summarize the message.
- Do NOT paraphrase the message.
- Do NOT truncate the message.
- Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info,
like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).
And DETAIL the steps to reproduce the error or problem.
From: Sue Mosher [MVP] on
If check names tells you that the message cannot be sent because a recipient
is not resolved, that suggests that there is a problem with the address,
maybe a typo that keeps it from being in proper format,
someaddress(a)somewhere.com.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

From: Candy on
Thank you Brian (although, I could have done without the sarcasm) and
VanguardLH for your answers. I will try to provide the required information.

1. Microsoft Outlook 2007, part of Microsoft Office Professional 2007.
2. I was trying to send an email.
3. When I clicked on the huge send button – nothing happened. The email I
wrote would not send.
4. I don't recall receiving any error messages when that happened.

Then I got a bright idea. I checked the email address I was trying to send
to through the following site:

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/

If you scroll down the page, it provides (among many other things) a place
to check the validity of an email address. The address to which I was trying
to send (obviously some old information from another site) was no longer
valid.

I did not realize that Outlook checked for that. I've never had that happen
before, that I can recall. But, that is the only reason I can figure out
that the email would not send.

Thank you, VanguarLH for all your helpful hints. I will try to remember
them. I get too anxious sometimes when I run into a problem that I cannot
figure out. I want to find the answer, so I hurriedly post my question.
Thank you for your patience.

Candy
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2