From: Mike Jones on

I need a script to be able to test the state of inserted DVD media.

How would I go about getting my script to check if a disk is blank, or
even writable?

Your favorite tricks welcome.

XP = alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
FU = alt.os.linux

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: mjt on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:01:21 +0000 (UTC)
Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> Snippet from my burn_iso script follows:
> #* Note: Assumes you are using cdrtools from

And if cdrkit *is* installed, I'd highly suggest
removing that broken fork of cdrtools and use
the real cdrtools (cdrecord).

--
Absentee, n.:
A person with an income who has had the forethought

From: Robert Komar on
Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:

> I need a script to be able to test the state of inserted DVD media.
>
> How would I go about getting my script to check if a disk is blank, or
> even writable?
>
> Your favorite tricks welcome.

"cdrecord -atip" and look for "free blocks" in the output.

Cheers,
Rob Komar
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Robert Komar:

> Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> I need a script to be able to test the state of inserted DVD media.
>>
>> How would I go about getting my script to check if a disk is blank, or
>> even writable?
>>
>> Your favorite tricks welcome.
>
> "cdrecord -atip" and look for "free blocks" in the output.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob Komar

Ooh! Handy! Cheers!

--