From: sharon27lily on
In Word 2003, I was able to put a checkmark next to a heading for an
important distinction in my organization, and have the checkmark appear in
the Table of Contents. It seems that in Word 2007, that same checkmark does
NOT appear in the Table of Contents. Can anyone either explain why, or more
importantly, tell me if there is a way to get the symbols to appear?

Thank you.
From: Peter T. Daniels on
How did you put the checkmark in?

If it's an ordinary character, then simply typing it in the heading
will make it part of the text. If it's going at the beginning of the
line, be careful it doesn't get "inside" the numbering field, the x-
ref field used by the ToC, etc. (You could put the cursor after the
first character in the heading, and left-arrow one space, then type
the checkmark and a space.)

From: Stefan Blom on
Are you adding the check mark at the beginning of the heading paragraph via
Insert tab | Symbol | More Symbols? It seems as if such symbols don't display in
the table of contents. However, if you insert a space before the symbol, then it
will be visible in the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

From: Suzanne S. Barnhill on
How odd!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

From: Stefan Blom on
It certainly is.

FWIW, symbols added as bullet formatting will show up in the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP