From: Robert Morley on
As near as I can tell, the only difference is that one's an "a" and one's a "b". ;-) Even at large sizes, there's no visible
character difference, no spacing difference, no nothing!

Rob

From: Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB) on
Good... thanks for the confirmation. I looked also and couldn't find
anything noticeable and figured I had to be missing something.

Rick

From: RonW on
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:58:34 -0400, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
<rickNOSPAMnews(a)NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

>Good... thanks for the confirmation. I looked also and couldn't find
>anything noticeable and figured I had to be missing something.
>
>Rick

On my Win95 box the "b" version sits higher in the character matrix.
If you click the "a" version in Character Map to magnify and then mouse back and
forth between "a" and "b" you might notice "b" rises slightly. I copied and
pasted both into Word and set the font size to 36, and the difference was
clearly noticeable.

YMMV

RW
From: Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB) on
>>Good... thanks for the confirmation. I looked also and couldn't find
>>anything noticeable and figured I had to be missing something.
>>
>>Rick
>
> On my Win95 box the "b" version sits higher in the character matrix.
> If you click the "a" version in Character Map to magnify and then mouse
> back and
> forth between "a" and "b" you might notice "b" rises slightly. I copied
> and
> pasted both into Word and set the font size to 36, and the difference was
> clearly noticeable.

Ah, yes, doing that does show a noticeable difference. However, at normal
font sizes, it is much harder to see... I wonder which two use situations
they were developed to handle.

Rick

From: Mike Williams on
"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rickNOSPAMnews(a)NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in
message news:eUw4uNg$HHA.4612(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> Make the font for the cell(s) Marlett and then use either "a"
> or "b" (these are lower case letters) either of which will
> display as a check mark (I'm not sure what the difference
> between these two characters are supposed to be; they
> look the same to me).

The shape and size of the glyph is the same in both cases and they are both
at the same horizontal position within the cell, but the "b" sits a little
higher up in the character cell than does the "a". Here's some code that
draws both characters at exactly the same position on the Form, the "a" in
blue and the "b" in red. I've drawn them both in outline so that you can
more easily see how the glyphs overlay each other and I've drawn blue and
red rectangles to show the characters cell (you'll only see the red
rectangle because it is the same size as the blue).

Mike

Option Explicit
Private Declare Function BeginPath Lib "gdi32" _
(ByVal hdc As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function EndPath Lib "gdi32" _
(ByVal hdc As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function StrokePath Lib "gdi32" _
(ByVal hdc As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function TextOut Lib "gdi32" Alias _
"TextOutA" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal x As Long, _
ByVal y As Long, ByVal lpString As String, _
ByVal nCount As Long) As Long

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim s1 As String
AutoRedraw = True
Font.Name = "Marlett"
Font.Size = 250
ForeColor = vbBlue
s1 = "a"
BeginPath Me.hdc
TextOut Me.hdc, 0, 0, s1, Len(s1)
EndPath Me.hdc
StrokePath Me.hdc
Line (0, 0)-(TextWidth(s1), TextHeight(s1)), , B
Me.ForeColor = vbRed
s1 = "b"
BeginPath Me.hdc
TextOut Me.hdc, 0, 0, s1, Len(s1)
EndPath Me.hdc
StrokePath Me.hdc
Line (0, 0)-(TextWidth(s1), TextHeight(s1)), , B
Me.Refresh
End Sub