From: Scott on
I'm looking for a good reliable router / access point for my home
office. The router I have now is a D-Link DIR-655 which itself is the
best router I've used, but even it has the occasional problem with the
access point dropping connectivity to all clients needing a reboot.
I'm tired of screwing around with routers that need reboots to restore
functionality, and I'm to the point of finding something business-
grade / commercial-grade. Netgear and Linksys low-end products have
left me similarly disappointed in the past.

Looking at Cisco offerings, I found the 861W which looks reasonably
priced.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Scott
From: bod43 on
On 6 June, 18:10, Scott <smba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Doug. I'm not too worried about the Cisco
> command-line interface. Although I've never worked with a Cisco
> product before, I am relatively well versed in CLIs, and often times
> prefer them to GUIs.
>
> I looked into the 881 series as well but the availability seems to be
> much poorer. There are numerous places with the 861W listed as in
> stock, but almost every place that has an 881 series lists it as
> either 'out of stock', 'unavailable', or 'call'. This makes me wonder

I had assumed, and still do not know either way,
that the 860/880 relationship was similar
to the 850/870.

850
Cheaper
Slower CPU - possible limitation on data rate than
can be supported
Only one VLAN
No "Advanced IP services" software - only needed for very
exotic stuff or more than one VLAN.

870
More expensive
Faster CPU - higher forwarding speed
Up to four VLANS - needs more expensive software "Advanced IP
services"

I am not really familiar with the 860/880.

Here are the forwarding seeds (fast switching - which
is what you get in most cases).

850 10,000 pps 5 Mbps (bits per second)
870 25,000 pps 12 Mbps

860 10,000 pps 12 Mbps
880 50,000 pps 25 Mbps
890 100,000 pps 51 Mbps

NOTE:- these speeds assume the worst case of 64 byte packets. Average
packet size in most cases is much more than this and throughput
correspondingly higher. assuming 250 bytes is still going to be quite
conservative unless you are doing something odd or perhaps VoIP where
small packets are used.

These speeds do not apply to traffic switched within the
integral 4 port (or whatever) ethernet switch. I imagine
that will be wire rate on all ports.

So the 860 will be good for say 50Mbps internet access
unless as mentioned small packets are in use.

Figures from:-
http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Hmmm that's a "partners" link. Don't think I am logged on
right now but the ways of the Firefox they can be
quite mysterious. Document may be available otherwise.
Google for [router packets per second 3725 3845]
seems to help. That's how I found it.

From: bod43 on
On 7 June, 10:56, bod43 <Bo...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 6 June, 18:10, Scott <smba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply, Doug. I'm not too worried about the Cisco
> > command-line interface. Although I've never worked with a Cisco
> > product before, I am relatively well versed in CLIs, and often times
> > prefer them to GUIs.
>
> > I looked into the 881 series as well but the availability seems to be
> > much poorer. There are numerous places with the 861W listed as in
> > stock, but almost every place that has an 881 series lists it as
> > either 'out of stock', 'unavailable', or 'call'. This makes me wonder
>
> I had assumed, and still do not know either way,
> that the 860/880 relationship was similar
> to the 850/870.
>
> 850
> Cheaper
> Slower CPU - possible limitation on data rate than
> can be supported
> Only one VLAN
> No "Advanced IP services" software - only needed for very
>      exotic stuff or more than one VLAN.
>
> 870
> More expensive
> Faster CPU - higher forwarding speed
> Up to four VLANS - needs more expensive software "Advanced IP
> services"
>
> I am not really familiar with the 860/880.
>
> Here are the forwarding seeds (fast switching - which
> is what you get in most cases).
>
> 850  10,000 pps  5 Mbps (bits per second)
> 870  25,000 pps 12 Mbps
>
> 860  10,000 pps 12  Mbps
> 880  50,000 pps 25  Mbps
> 890 100,000 pps 51  Mbps
>
> NOTE:- these speeds assume the worst case of 64 byte packets. Average
> packet size in most cases is much more than this and throughput
> correspondingly higher. assuming 250 bytes is still going to be quite
> conservative unless you are doing something odd or perhaps VoIP where
> small packets are used.
>
> These speeds do not apply to traffic switched within the
> integral 4 port (or whatever) ethernet switch. I imagine
> that will be wire rate on all ports.
>
> So the 860 will be good for say 50Mbps internet access
> unless as mentioned small packets are in use.
>
> Figures from:-http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/...
>
> Hmmm that's a "partners" link. Don't think I am logged on
> right now but the ways of the Firefox they can be
> quite mysterious. Document may be available otherwise.
> Google for [router packets per second 3725 3845]
> seems to help. That's how I found it.

Sorry I meant to mention.

860 and 880 will I think have the same life expectancy.
The lack of availability of 880 is likely due to the
860 being cheaper and and at the same time
more than man enough for the job of a broadband
SOHO router.

They probably don't sell enough to bother stocking them.
From: Scott on
Okay, so the beast arrived on Wednesday. My first impressions were
good - unboxing it shows it to be heavy, sturdy-looking, ... big ...,
it appears to be of quality physical construction. Unfortunately, it's
gone downhill ever since I started trying to configure it.

The CP and CP Express software seem to be extremely poor quality. I'd
read warnings about this ahead of time, but usually I suspect those
sorts of warnings come from novice users unfamiliar with networking...
I've had numerous problems with the GUI software. 'CP Express' insists
on running a wizard each time I try to use it, but appears to fail to
save the settings at the end of the wizard, leading CP Express to
insist on running the wizard again next time I use it.

The 'CP' tool would load up and display a blank windows explorer page
and sit there with the progress bar moving for hours, but not actually
doing anything. I eventually determined by googling around for similar
problems that it was lacking 'Adobe Flash'. The CP software requires
flash and java, and the failure mode of not having flash installed is
to sit there and do nothing. Note to Cisco: an error message would be
handy.

Fortunately, when I finally did get CP to work and write some settings
to permanent storage, it cleared up the wizard problem with CP
Express, so I can at least get CP Express to launch and view the
settings.

Unfortunately, neither program seems to be capable of setting the
router's IP address. Well that's not entirely true.... They'll both
change the router's IP address, and the router responds to pings at
the new address, but the router does not respond to telnet or web
connections. It's effectively bricked until I power cycle it. I
suppose I could try to get into it via the serial console and see
what's going on inside the box.

Can anyone confirm for me -- do the internal telnet and web servers
need to be restarted after changing the IP address?

I had hoped to at least get a basic workable configuration using the
GUI tools that I could then tweak over the command line. The GUI tools
just don't seem to be functional enough to do this. I wonder why Cisco
includes these tools with the router if they're not capable of
performing even the simplest and most common configuration changes
that need to be done to a router.

Scott
From: Scott on
Silly configuration professional software.... It changed the IP
address without updating the access control list....

Well, that's one problem solved.

Fortunately, the CLI seems to be relatively easy to learn.