From: zaman on
Hi,

I am trying to configure an NFS client which will access some filer
mounts.
I have added the mounts in /etc/fstab so that the mounts are
persistent across reboots.

Also , I have restarted portmap and nfslock on the client host . My
confusion whether we need to restart the nfs
service on the client host or this should be running only on the NFS
server . A status on the nfs service shows
that it is running the nfsd service which is the NFS Server Daemon
I think .
====
-bash-3.00$ service nfs status
rpc.mountd (pid 7291) is running...
nfsd (pid 7287 7286 7285 7284 7283 7282 7281 7280) is running...
rpc.rquotad (pid 7255) is running...
=====
Please clarify .

Thanks in Adbance-
-qc
From: mjt on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
zaman <query.cdac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to configure an NFS client which will access some filer
> mounts.
> I have added the mounts in /etc/fstab so that the mounts are
> persistent across reboots.
>
> Also , I have restarted portmap and nfslock on the client host

"Client host" should be either "NFS client" or "NFS host".
"Client host" is an oxymoron.

> My confusion whether we need to restart the nfs service on the
> client host or this should be running only on the NFS server .

NFS server only.

You didn't mention if you're having an issue, if any, with NFS.

--
Any great truth can - and eventually will - be expressed as a cliche
- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,

From: bzaman on
Thanks for replying.

On Jul 21, 7:58 pm, mjt <myswtestYOURSH...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
>
> zaman <query.c...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to configure an NFS client which will access some filer
> > mounts.
> > I have added the mounts in /etc/fstab so that the mounts are
> > persistent across reboots.
>
> > Also , I have restarted portmap and nfslock on the client host

Is nfslock is needed on the client side.

> "Client host" should be either "NFS client" or "NFS host".
> "Client host" is an oxymoron.

yeah..I should have mentioned NFS client.

> > My confusion whether we need to restart the nfs service on the
> > client host or this should be running only on the NFS server .
>
> NFS server only.
>
> You didn't mention if you're having an issue, if any, with NFS.

I am configuring it for the first time. So , no issues yet .

Thanks
Zaman
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jul 21, 10:58 am, mjt <myswtestYOURSH...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
>
> zaman <query.c...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to configure an NFS client which will access some filer
> > mounts.
> > I have added the mounts in /etc/fstab so that the mounts are
> > persistent across reboots.
>
> > Also , I have restarted portmap and nfslock on the client host
>
> "Client host" should be either "NFS client" or "NFS host".
> "Client host" is an oxymoron.

What? No, it's normally referred to as "NFS client" or "NFS server". A
host is a host and may be other.

> > My confusion whether we need to restart the nfs service on the
> > client host or this should be running only on the NFS server .
>
> NFS server only.
>
> You didn't mention if you're having an issue, if any, with NFS.

It won't hurt it to be run on the NFS server, but if I remember the
'nfs' init script, it only runs if you've created an "/etc/exports"
file, which is where you list the NFS directories you plan to publish.

You can check from the client, or the server, whether things are
available with the "showmount" command before trying to mount htem.
From: mjt on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > "Client host" should be either "NFS client" or "NFS host".
> > "Client host" is an oxymoron.
>
> What? No, it's normally referred to as "NFS client" or "NFS server". A
> host is a host and may be other.

Nice catch :)

--
Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.
-- John Kenneth Galbraith

Pages: 1
Prev: swap tuning
Next: g++ won't load