From: jny0 on
Hi,
I've just realised that g++ on my computer doesn't work properly. I
normally use gcc, so hasn't until now been a problem. I read that g++
is now part of gcc, but that I would need gcc-2.n.tar.gz, which I've
dutifully downloaded. When I try to create the makefile (using ./
configure), I'm faced with the following error:

gen-num-limits failed to build, exiting

Any ideas?
Regards
From: mjt on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:59:59 -0700 (PDT)
jny0 <jny0(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've just realised that g++ on my computer doesn't work properly. I
> normally use gcc, so hasn't until now been a problem. I read that g++
> is now part of gcc, but that I would need gcc-2.n.tar.gz, which I've
> dutifully downloaded. When I try to create the makefile (using ./
> configure), I'm faced with the following error:
>
> gen-num-limits failed to build, exiting

What GNU/Linux distro are you using? Are you attempting
to build g++? Why not install a built [binary] package?

--
Critic, n.:
A person who boasts himself hard to please because

From: jny0 on
Hi,

I'm using Fedora, and gcc was installed using the installation manager
yum. I can compile c code using gcc (i.e. gcc test.c -o test), but
not c++ code using g++ (i.e. g++ test.cc). When I try to do so I'm
informed that the header file isn't recognised... Error: iostream.h:
No such file or directory

When investigating on the GNU website, I learned that g++ is now part
of gcc, but that libstdc++-2.n.tar.gz would need acquiring and
installing, as this contains iostream.h. I've done so but no no
avail.

This concludes the story so far!

From: John Hasler on
jny0 writes:
> I learned that g++ is now part of gcc, but that libstdc++-2.n.tar.gz
> would need acquiring and installing, as this contains iostream.h.

What you learned is incorrect. You need to install the relevant Fedora
packages. I believe that "yum install gcc-c++" will get you what you need.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: jny0 on
That's what I did. yum install gcc-c++ is exactly what I mean when I
said "gcc was installed using the installation manager
yum". If I do it again, I'm told it's up to date, and there's nothing
to be done.

What I learned came from:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/g++.README
....and says:
G++ is no longer a separate distribution. Version 2 of G++ is an
integral
part of GCC. You should get the gcc-2.n.tar.gz sources (where n is
the
highest numbered archive) in the gcc/ directory.

C++ users will almost certainly need to retrieve the libstdc+
+-2.n.tar.gz
distribution as well, since that's where all the standard C++ stream
classes
(and header files like iostream.h) live.