From: SQACSharp on
Hi,

Many of my applications who use dll ProjectReference stop working
since this week for unknown reasons.

I suspect that I ran a downloaded openSource project who change
something in the registry about dll reference/ version

The problem :
The application stop because of "object not reference to an instance
of the object...blablabla" and the form cannot even be displayed

- The problem occur ***ONLY*** when running my application outside VS
(not in vs.. with start debugging)
- Doing a "Clean" of the project before doing rebuild project solve
the problem until next rebuild
- when running the application after rebuild, the problem occurs 50%
of the time when executing the exe directly , sometime it works,
sometime not. But it always work in VS or after a "Clean"

I dont think the problem has something to do with my code.

Any ideas? I Defenitively need help on this.... I try almost anything
possible and lost many many precious hours on this.....Help!!!!!! :(

Thanks,

From: SQACSharp on
My first use of attach process debugging...

Problem = When several separate projects output dll to a SAME
directory I need to add reference to that dll in my main project even
if the main project is not using it. Compiling the main project
delete the file (.dll) somehow. Adding a reference to this "unused"
dll in my main project prevent the deletion of the file in the bin
dir.

Is there an option for this? Why rebuilding a project can result in
removing dll in the output dir? Anyway at least the problem is
Resolved!!!! :)

Michel
From: SQACSharp on
On May 6, 1:12 am, Peter Duniho <no.peted.s...(a)no.nwlink.spam.com>
wrote:
> SQACSharp wrote:
> > My first use of attach process debugging...
>
> > Problem = When several separate projects output dll to a SAME
> > directory I need to add reference to that dll in my main project even
> > if the main project is not using it.   Compiling the main project
> > delete the file (.dll)  somehow.  Adding a reference to this "unused"
> > dll in my main project prevent the deletion of the file in the bin
> > dir.
>
> > Is there an option for this?  Why rebuilding a project can result in
> > removing dll in the output dir?  Anyway  at least the problem is
> > Resolved!!!! :)
>
> The "Rebuild" option performs a "Clean" then a "Build", where the
> "Build" is based on the dependencies for the project being built (or the
> whole solution, if you use the "Build Solution" command).
>
> It seems plausible to me that if you for some reason have multiple
> projects all writing their output to some directory, but those projects
> are not properly configured as dependencies for the project that
> actually depends on them, they won't get rebuilt after being cleaned
> from the output directory.
>
> It's impossible to say for sure what's going on without access to the
> actual solution and projects.  But it sounds like you haven't set them
> up correctly.  Certainly having a bunch of DLLs that aren't actually
> related to each other all getting written to the same output directory
> seems a bit irregular to me.
>
> Pete

Thank for the advise but the design is like this because the
particular use of my application a 3.5 application who inject dll from
different framework version into other process. The goal was to
remove duplicated stuffs and avoid managing several projects to
compile in different version. Anyway it's a really particular case so
I cant define dependencies without getting duplication and complicate
maintenance in a multi framework support context. At least I
understand now and it's fixed!