From: Mayayana on
| condition I can think of on Win XP, but on Vista the call hangs
| everything. And in this case even process Explorer cannot kill the
| main app. I have to boot the computer every time.

Maybe you should post details about that code.
You can't just leave something like that.

From: BeeJ on
Mayayana pretended :
>> condition I can think of on Win XP, but on Vista the call hangs
>> everything. And in this case even process Explorer cannot kill the
>> main app. I have to boot the computer every time.
>

> Maybe you should post details about that code.
> You can't just leave something like that.

will do when I get back to the nasty Vista PC.
I hate to debug there due to several Vista incompatibilities with my
code and having to boot when I run into that API.

From: Nobody on
"BeeJ" <nospam(a)live.com> wrote in message
> on 8/8/2010, Jason Keats supposed :
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=VB6+terminate+process
>
> yikes! there are so many ways of doing it.
> I have no clue which way to go.
> Are any better than others?
>
> I would like to enumerate all running and see if mine is there, then kill
> it.
> I do not have a form in the ActiveX EXE so I cannot search for a Caption,
> right?
> So I need to see what is running by program name, see if it is mine and
> then kill.

You would have to use EnumProcesses, GetModuleFileNameEx, OpenProcess, then
TerminateProcess. If you search for all these functions, you will find a
sample.

From: Kevin Provance on
"BeeJ" <nospam(a)live.com> wrote in message
:
: Yes, I do.
: I have error handling that works and logging that give me reports. But
: right now I am struggling with API calls that work under every
: condition I can think of on Win XP, but on Vista the call hangs
: everything. And in this case even process Explorer cannot kill the
: main app. I have to boot the computer every time.
: So I am jut trying to cover the worst case situation and try to clean
: up as best I can.
: OK so I am lazy too. when debugging in the IDE I get a crash and shut
: down the app incorrectly leaving stuff in memory. Killing on startup
: would clear all that and i would not have to open Process Explorer and
: search and kill - lots of clicks avoided.

As Maya asked, post the offending code when you can. Chances are there is a
better work around that the anticipation of crashes.

From: BeeJ on
Nobody explained :
> "BeeJ" <nospam(a)live.com> wrote in message
>> on 8/8/2010, Jason Keats supposed :
>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=VB6+terminate+process
>>
>> yikes! there are so many ways of doing it.
>> I have no clue which way to go.
>> Are any better than others?
>>
>> I would like to enumerate all running and see if mine is there, then kill
>> it.
>> I do not have a form in the ActiveX EXE so I cannot search for a Caption,
>> right?
>> So I need to see what is running by program name, see if it is mine and
>> then kill.
>
> You would have to use EnumProcesses, GetModuleFileNameEx, OpenProcess, then
> TerminateProcess. If you search for all these functions, you will find a
> sample.

Found some code I am going to take a hard look at.